Ever shot anything you weren't hunting??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mindustrial

Single-Sixer
Bother was out squirrel hunting one afternoon & comes back out of the woods to his truck parked in a pull-off area. There's a chicken on the hood of it....what the? It won't leave. He takes his shotgun and as he goes to shoo him off, he get pecked in the kneecap. There was another one sitting on top of his tire in the wheelwell. So he pushes that one out, & the other one off the hood, and runs them off into the woods. As he's getting a drink & loading the truck up, they come back. He wasn't about to take any more of this abuse...from chickens. They weren't very tender, but said they were still satisfying to eat them because the one scratched his paint on the hood.

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I was sitting on the cabin porch on the second day of deer season waiting for the does to cross as the do every morning at 10am. About 8:35 a coyote -- a big un, popped over the ridge 115 yards away. The 30-06 spoke and he was a goner.

Joewisc

Bearcat
I once shot a desert tortoise and have always regretted it. It was 40 years ago. It was out minding its business and I was hiking and plinking with an H&R .22 looking for rattlesnakes mostly. Saw this object moving from about 20 yards and without first identifying it aimed and pulled the trigger. When I got close I had pierced the poor critter's shell and saw blood oozing out. I immediately felt guilty for having killed a creature that bore me no harm. I have never killed anything since. (I don't hunt, just target-shoot).

eveled

Hawkeye
I've done the oposite.......Not shot what I was trying to hunt! Ed

HadEmAll

Bearcat
22 years ago and I still feel bad about this.

Novice hunter (me), in a ground blind, 4 senderos, and a .243 Browning A-Bolt, 6:30 AM, waiting for my first shot at a deer or hog.

I had elected to put a fixed 6 power Leupold scope on the Browning instead of a variable, and was questioning my decision after sighting on various targets down the senderos.

A beautiful, crimson, cardinal landed on a prickly pear about 75 yards down one of the senderos, and I sighted on him to see how steady I could hold the crosshairs while using the rickety window frame of the blind.

Thought I had the safety on, thought I was putting only incidental pressure on the trigger, and BOOM. All I saw through the scope was a bright red cloud. I felt sick.

Definitely ruined the rest of the day for me, and taught me some very important lessons about carelessness with a firearm, and how serious the consequences could be.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
This cow kudu that rocketed past just as I pulled the trigger on the bull. In and out of the bull and in the cow and recovered under the hide of her off shoulder. Both PH's were watching with glasses and only saw the rear legs of the cow flip up into the air at the shot. A 250 gr Barnes X from my 9.3x62 that showed "advertisement perfect" expansion and weighed 250 grs.

EdKudus.jpg

Many years ago my brother-in-law and I were hunting whitetails on the Eastern Shore of Maryland on a family members land. The day turned to a day from hell as rain and wind started so we left our stands and headed to the house. As we passed a creek a flock of Canada geese took flight. My BIL said to me "See if you can at least get us dinner." I took the H&R .22 I carried in my pack out and shot at the closest goose, never in the world figuring on hitting it. BAM! Right through the head. Now what to do with a dead goose, OUT of season, floating in a creek. We watched it float away as there was no way we could retrieve it.

TWalker

Bearcat
I was bowhunting for deer from a tree stand one warm October afternoon. I saw a big groundhog come out of his hole and start eating clover. He was a long way off and was moving away from me. I finally tried a shot when he stood up facing away from me. The arrow took him cleanly through the chest. I marked the spot and the next day measured the distance. 57 yards. I've killed deer with a bow at slightly longer distances but that was my longest successful shot ever on small game.

Corbi

Single-Sixer
I might also add that I rarely pass up the opportunity to shoot an armadillo.

They make good ballistic test media. :lol:

Corbi

#1rugerman

Single-Sixer
Yes lots of times! When I'm deer huting if I see a stray dog (I know everyone who lives around the land I hunt on and their dogs) or a "yote" I shoot it. We have a real problem with both and rabies is on the rise in the area and we take out every one we see. One property that I hunt on the land owner has a rule "if you see any dog other than his you are to shoot it or you lose the right to hunt there" and since he owens a section of land we follow his rule. I live in a colege town and students get a dog from the pound and keep it til it becomes a problem then they take it out of town and let it fend for itself most get killed on the road or by coyotes.

Latest posts