Engraving - NMBH .44 Special

Help Support Ruger Forum:

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Had a li'l engraving done on my Lipsey's Ruger NM Blackhawk .44 Special.

(The "off color" is because the engraver used a magic marker on the engraving. Hope to have better pics after bluing.)

Now, off to the gunsmith for bluing.

rsz2544.jpg

rsz2548.jpg

rsz2547.jpg

Engraver is in Reno/Sparks, Nevada.

bogus bill

Hunter
I dont know how that metal would take case harding but if I was sticking that much money in it I would be tempted to get the frame and hammer caseded by turnbull or someone as good. Also widen the hammer spur like a bisley.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Perhaps some better pics. I wiped off as much magic marker ink as I could.

rsz2556.jpg

rsz2557.jpg

rsz2558.jpg

rsz2560.jpg

Now anxious to get it blued.

Don't think I'll want color case hardening on this one - although a great idea.

Its kind of a budget engraving project. And the engraver is QUITE reasonable.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Had it blued and picked it up today. A few pics:

rsz2626.jpg

rsz2631.jpg

rsz2633.jpg

rsz2635.jpg

Regret the photography isn't so great.

Original factory hard rubber grips removed and replaced with Pachmayer grips designed for a Colt single action.

Engraver: Mark Hykes, Sparks, Nevada.

Rafsob

Single-Sixer
Beautiful engraving work, but please get that ugly rubber grip off!!!!! :oops:

I would go with a nice pair of ivory grip panels. it would be worth the cost!!

Or how about something like this:

Blackhawk44spec-a.jpg

or this:

NewModelBlackhawk-1.jpg

or this one, I had the original grip laser engraved:

SBHAccusport45Lc.jpg

street

Hunter
It's going to be a nice looking gun, but as stated above, with that nice looking gun please get a set of grips to go along with the engraving.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Ha! Thanks, guys.

I understand those Pachmayr's aren't the most beautiful. But frankly, I do like them when doing lots of shooting, especially when shooting single action revolver division at our local bowling pin and steel plate shooting matches.

Don't know if I'll get a custom set of grips or not, but I can always put the factory hard rubber checkered grips back on it. Might look slightly better!

If anyone wants the engravers name/number, shoot me a pm. I thnk he could surely use the business. I told him I hope he gets busy and stays in business.

flatgate

Hawkeye
A great project! Now, throw those rubber things in the trash and swear that you'll never let such items get within 20 feet of your wonderful Blackhawk!

Ruger has had a few of their guns engraved. Mostly back in the '50's but a few were engraved in the '70's and/or '80's. All were fitted with "nice looking" grips..........

Merry Christmas!

flatgate

Hey! That's a great looking gun and those grips look just fine. I shot with those Pachmayers for years and particularlyvlikr the tacky feel they give in cold weather when other grips can feel so slick. And to paraphrase the wisdom of Forrest Gump: "Pretty is as pretty does" :)

And I would like the contact info on the graver if you don't mind.
Thanks,
Russ
[email protected]

varminter22

Single-Sixer
Frankly, I don't know what percentage it is. Maybe around 50%; maybe more considering he engraved down the back of the grip frame. I think he prices per job.

A couple of area match shooter friends had him do some engraving. One had his S&W M627 match revolver done and we had an revolver engraved to give away at our ICORE regional match. So, of course, I wanted one engraved!

I just told him I wanted some 'old timey' scroll stuff, but not 100% coverage.

I think he gave me a great deal, so I cannot reveal my exact cost. But I think he said my engraving would easily be worth $400 to $500.

Mark's (engraver's) cell phone: 775-343-8022 but sometimes hard to reach. If his cell number doesn't work so good, try: Silver Bullet Gun Works (in Sparks NV) 775-331-8228

Definitely give him a call. You might be surprised.

I know next to nothing about engraving - this is my first - but I'm quite happy with it. If I do another, I think I'll do a stainless steel revolver as the engraving might show up better and won't have to have it re-blued.

The gunsmith that blued my revolver said he thought the engraving quality was very good. What do I know? It looks good to me!!

Mark has engraved knives and other items for quite some time:

http://www.icollector.com/Fine-contemporary-spear-point-knife_i10585864

http://blmaconknives.com/sanfranciscoknives.html