Electrical A B Switch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I need some help guys. First of all, I have a desktop computer. I has a set of speakers that plugs into the back. Now I want to be able to send the sound to my Surround sound system.
I can just pull the plug from the computer and insert the plug coming from the surround sound system and it works. But I don't want to have to change those plugs, I just want a simple A B 3.5mm switch to plug both the jacks into.

The switches I see on Amazon are described as "one plug in, two plugs out". Seems to me I want the single plug to plug into the port on the computer and the speaker plug and the surround sound plug to plug into the other two ports. That way I'd be switching the computers output to two different components. But the way they describe it, it works just the opposite. I hope you can understand all this.

Any help would be appreciated.

hittman

Staff member
Instead of a switch could you use a “Y” cable and have the speakers plugged into both at the same time?
We have a great locally owned audio / video / car and home stereo place that I’d go to in person for the info. Maybe there’s one in your area too?

Instead of a switch could you use a “Y” cable and have the speakers plugged into both at the same time?
We have a great locally owned audio / video / car and home stereo place that I’d go to in person for the info. Maybe there’s one in your area too?
I guess I could try that. So if the surround sound system was turn off, I guess the sound would only go to the computers speakers.

Fire Chief

Bearcat
Just use something like this.

amazon.com/Belkin F8V234 Speaker and Headphone 3.5 mm AUX Audio Cable Splitter,Black​

I thought I'd come back and give you the outcome. I got the "Y" plug that Fire Chief pictured above. I plugged it into the computer port and plugged the computer speakers into one and my surround sound system into the other.

When I use the surround system I can just unplug the computer speakers plug so the sound only goes to the surround sound. As long as I have that "Y" plugged into the computer, I can unplug one or the other jacks and the computer doesn't know I've unplugged anything. Without the "Y" in there, if I unplugged the computer speakers and plugged in the surround sound, The computer would get upset and pop up a message asking me what I was trying to do. But with the "Y" in there, it doesn't know I unplugged anything.

Latest posts