Early RL-2016 " U " marked

Help Support Ruger Forum:

C6S1C

Bearcat
Hi Folks,

I recently stumbled across a LNIB RL-2016 ( Red Label - 20ga/26" - blued receiver ) with a " U " marked serial number.

I was wonder what type of premium the U marked Red Labels bring ?? RENE states only ten known.

Thanks, C6S1C

Ruger Junkie

Bearcat
IMHO, they don't have much of a premium. I've got three and bought them all on Gun Broker within the past five years. Didn't pay much (if anything) over what they would have been otherwise. Just not enough people collecting Red Labels to drive up the price on the ones that are rare.

the blue receiver makes the value the U sometimes adds a little but must be as shipped. If its been actually used, no premium. I've sold dozens of U shotguns. The RENE number will likely be way low from actual on these. Still a nice gun especially if choked right. IC/M or SK/SK bring the most in my experience

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
golferboy426 said:
the blue receiver makes the value the U sometimes adds a little but must be as shipped. If its been actually used, no premium. I've sold dozens of U shotguns. The RENE number will likely be way low from actual on these. Still a nice gun especially if choked right. IC/M or SK/SK bring the most in my experience

+1 to what golferboy said. The SK/SK choke would have far more bearing on the value than the "U" the quality of wood also.

The "U" does make them neat. Now if it had the "U" and a * on same gun.... now you talking

Dave

hhhmmm, BOTH a "U" and an "*" ??? that would make it a used gun (second) twice??? even less 'desireable' than a band "new" model of the same year (vintage)......I never see ANY "premium" on the U or * on the red Labels we've had and sold over the years, and only kept one of them, and its "priced" (valued) the same as the others...LESS than todays 'retail" for the last ones made :(

chet15

Hawkeye
rugerguy said:
hhhmmm, BOTH a "U" and an "*" ??? that would make it a used gun (second) twice??? even less 'desireable' than a band "new" model of the same year (vintage)......I never see ANY "premium" on the U or * on the red Labels we've had and sold over the years, and only kept one of them, and its "priced" (valued) the same as the others...LESS than todays 'retail" for the last ones made :(

I know what you are getting at Dan, but I think the only reason you never see a premium on the "U" or "*" asterisk guns is that they are newer models. I'd bet you could have a limited production of 25 or 50 of something (hey, the RCA 10" flattop is one example!!) and not see much premium on them at all, if any. Without the interest, there aren't much for premiums.
Now if that was an "S" marked gun and not a new model (afterall, the "U" and later "*" asterisk guns morphed from the "S" factory "seconds"), that would be a whole different story to most collectors.
The problem is, when nobody shows the interest or excitement of a recent model or variation, then how are we supposed to gain interest from new collectors? I'm afraid our ranks will get fewer and fewer as the years go by unless everybody promotes the uniqueness of some of these newer Ruger variations.

C6S1C, please send the full sn to me via PM and I'll add your gun to the "Reference" notes, making it 11 known.
Thanks!!

Chet15