Dry Firing the SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Bannerman said:
Hi Guys,

Is it safe to dry fire the SR9 without the magazine in?

Hey Bannerman,

Take the opportunity to read the SR9 owner's manual, page 18, for your answer.

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/srSeries.pdf

The reality is that you can dry fire without a mag, however, you can damage the striker as a result. I wouldn't make a habit of the practice.

YMMV,
boomer 8)

Bannerman

Bearcat
boomer1 said:
Bannerman said:
Hi Guys,

Is it safe to dry fire the SR9 without the magazine in?

Hey Bannerman,

Take the opportunity to read the SR9 owner's manual, page 18, for your answer.

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/srSeries.pdf

The reality is that you can dry fire without a mag, however, you can damage the striker as a result. I wouldn't make a habit of the practice.

YMMV,
boomer 8)

Thanks for the input boomer but what if you are in the range and you have to show clear? I always remove the mag and dry fire it to know that I am really clear.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Interesting question.

According to a recent NRA Basic Pistol Course I attended... removing the magazine, removing the chambered round, and locking open the slide, placing the firearm on the counter pointed in a safe direction, was appropriate range procedure for a semi-auto pistol, as directed by the Range Safety Officer. There was no mention or instruction of "dry firing." This course was taught by NRA-certified pistol instructors.

YMMV,
boomer 8)

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Interesting question.

According to a recent NRA Basic Pistol Course I attended... removing the magazine, removing the chambered round (if necessary), and locking open the slide, placing the firearm on the counter pointed in a safe direction, was appropriate range procedure for a semi-auto pistol, as directed by the Range Safety Officer. There was no mention or instruction of "dry firing." This course was taught by NRA-certified pistol instructors.

YMMV,
boomer 8)

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
If you remove the magazine disconnect safety, you can dry fire the SR9 to your heart's content without the magazine in.

I removed the magazine disconnect when I went to action pistol events and reinstalled them when I got home since it did double duty as a house and competition gun.

Technically, this violates IDPA rules in that "all safety devices must be operational" but at the local club level, no one is going to do a tear down inspection.

Boomer, at action pistol events, since guns are holstered on the person, the "unload and show clear" means you need to show the RO/SO that you can drop the hammer/striker on an empty chamber after you complete each stage.

Bannerman

Bearcat
Tam 212 said:
If you remove the magazine disconnect safety, you can dry fire the SR9 to your heart's content without the magazine in.

I removed the magazine disconnect when I went to action pistol events and reinstalled them when I got home since it did double duty as a house and competition gun.

Technically, this violates IDPA rules in that "all safety devices must be operational" but at the local club level, no one is going to do a tear down inspection.

Boomer, at action pistol events, since guns are holstered on the person, the "unload and show clear" means you need to show the RO/SO that you can drop the hammer/striker on an empty chamber after you complete each stage.

So you mean to say that this is OK with the Ruger SR9 to dry fire?

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
Er... yes, but it's conditional.

* IF you wish dry-fire WITHOUT magazine in place and the magazine disconnect has been REMOVED.

* IF you wish to dry-fire with the magazine disconnect INSTALLED, then make sure you have a magazine INSERTED.

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Tam 212 said:

Good point Tam, I don't recall if the OP mentioned if the activity was an action pistol event. I guess I assumed that he was just at the range practicing. As you know, the important thing is safety, safety, safety..... I appreciate your advice.

BTW, how are things going in the land of "FOID?" Are the laws being revised?

Shoot the heck out of your SR9....

boomer 8)

Tam 212

Single-Sixer
"BTW, how are things going in the land of "FOID?" Are the laws being revised?"

it's in the works but Illinois and particularly, Chicago are bastions of anti-gun sentiment. the wheels turn slowly for us, my friend.

Bannerman

Bearcat
Tam 212 said:
Er... yes, but it's conditional.

* IF you wish dry-fire WITHOUT magazine in place and the magazine disconnect has been REMOVED.

* IF you wish to dry-fire with the magazine disconnect INSTALLED, then make sure you have a magazine INSERTED.

Got it. Thank you!