Dry Fire question SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

customf1

Bearcat
What is the safest way to dry fire an SP101 gun? Can it be dry fired with an empty chamber or is there another way to do this, I don't want to ruin the gun. I heard about snap caps but I am not sure how they work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

wwb

Hunter
Snap caps are dummy cartridges that have a "primer" that will absorb the impact of the firing pin.... either a spring or a rubber bumper behind a metal (usually brass) false primer.

Rugers are supposed to be able to be dry fired repeatedly without suffering any ill effects, but snap caps are cheap insurance. I always use them for dry firing on any firearm.

Knuckles

Buckeye
I dry-fire... many times... I think I'll go dry-fire my SP101 right now! :wink:

Snobal

Bearcat
customf1 said:
What is the safest way to dry fire an SP101 gun? Can it be dry fired with an empty chamber or is there another way to do this, I don't want to ruin the gun. I heard about snap caps but I am not sure how they work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Did you get a copy of the instruction manual that should have come with your SP101?

The Ruger instruction manual that came with my SP101, says on page 13:

"Dry-Firing" is practicing the trigger pull of the empty revolver for practice and familiarity. The SP101 can be dry-fired without damage to the firing pin or internal components."

Now.....

Expect a bunch of "Internet experts" to chime in, but for me, I'll believe what the folks that made the revolver have to say about "dry firing."

By the way, the more I "dry fire" my SP101's, the slicker and smoother they get.

JMHO - YRMV

Raspy

Bearcat
I dry fired my SP101 about 2000 times with lapping compound, grease and oil to smooth out the trigger.

Made a big difference.