dropped bolt assembly won't go back in RAP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onfinal

Bearcat
Was cleaning my Ruger American Predator 6.5 Creedmoor bolt and managed to drop it on hard floor. The bolt "fired," that is firing pin is out and the bolt won't go back into rifle. The cocking piece (hope that's the right nomenclature) is sticking out far enough that it won't let the bolt go in all the way.

I have tried to recock the bolt by moving the cocking piece to the rear but it ain't budging and I don't want to force it. Any ideas/advice/experience with this problem will be greatly appreciated.

I know it's been a long time since I have posted but I am a steady reader of the forum and never fail to learn. Thanks in advance for any and all help. If this should be in the smith section, please move.

rich e

Single-Sixer
Hope this helps, go to YouTube and type this in the search part; recocking Ruger American bolt assembly, There is a video that should help you.

onfinal

Bearcat
rich e said:
Hope this helps, go to YouTube and type this in the search part; recocking Ruger American bolt assembly, There is a video that should help you.

Thank you very much, Rich. The video where the guy puts a coin in his vise then pulls back with the cocking piece hooked over the coin was just what I needed. Worked like a charm and I'm back in business. I think the video I used is titled cocking the M77 and most other bolts or something like that, but as he says, it applies to most bolt/firing pin recocking.

I really appreciate your help.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
I always use stupid and brute strength and awkwardness for most things .... Why change now.. Got the scars to prove it.. Much better than "Tramp Stamps"...