Driving me crazy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

williamc

Single-Sixer
I've been wanting to get a GP100 to keep for home defense (and general shooting fun) for a few months now.

I went to the gun shop today and found a barely fired 4" GP100 for $449 (about $100 less than a new one). It had Hogue monogrips on it, which leads me to believe that it isn't that old. It even came with the plastic case.

I called the CFO, but she xnayed the whole thing. This seemed like it's a good deal, but alas I can't argue with the bookkeeper. I can't stop thinking about it. New guns are cheap compared to the hell I'd catch for picking it up!

Just had to rant.

William

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Just use Yosemite Sam's guide to modern financial justification!

In today's world you've got $1200/mo mortgages, $300/mo car payments, $200/mo cell phone bills, and $150/mo cable TV bills. $450 isn't a whole lot of money anymore, really. One $450 expense over the course of a year is a drop in the bucket. If you really need to, stash some money from each paycheck for a couple of weeks into a slush fund; You'll be surprised how quick it adds up.

And finally, it's always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D

-- Sam

mattsbox99

Hunter
Guns are pretty cheap, in the 70s and 80s, wages were much lower and it was a couple weeks pay for a good revolver, now its a few days pay in most cases, even a top line 1911 is only a few weeks pay.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
weconway":1dro8bmo said:
I've been wanting to get a GP100 to keep for home defense (and general shooting fun) for a few months now.

Try this; "Sweety we need a home defense gun and I will show you how to shoot it so you can protect yourself when I am not here". Of course it won't be yours anymore but maybe she will let you borrow it from time to time. :D :D

...Jimbo

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
It's even easier dealing with the local shop. Settle on the price, put a little down & set aside some money weekly until you have it paid for. Find some stuff laying around & put it on 'Craig's List' if you have to. When doing regular errands just include a stop at the gunshop once in a while.

Post a detailed budget & I'll cut some fat off for you.

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
Lay-a-way. Wal-Mart doesn't have it anymore, but gun shops still do. LOL Most LGS, at least around here, offer 90 day programs. That works better for me than a slush fund. But, I'm single and don't have to worry about asking for permission or forgivness. haha

Pal Val

Buckeye
Buy it, then ask. The worst that could happen is that you end up taking it back to the store. I'm sure Mrs CFO loves you so much that she will spare you the embarrassment. :roll:

Another tactic - Buy it and hide it for a few weeks. When the missus finds out, you can say - "Sorry, but it's too late to return it." A few days in the doghouse is not such a bad price to pay for a fine boy toy. :wink:

32magfan

Blackhawk
I was asked by the now ex-wife why I needed another gun when I went to purchase a 10/22. She stated that the safe was almost full of guns. :(

I then asked her why she kept buying shoes when the closet and a shoe rack were already full of shoes. If looks could kill I'd have been a goner. :shock: She never commented on the gun thing after that.

Now I only argue with myself. :wink: The "don't buy it" part of me has lost all arguments regarding the subject for some time now. :D I'm going to need another safe if this keeps up. Then it will have to be filled up. It's like one of those "self-fulfilling prophecies" or something.

I say buy the darn gun. The worst that could happen is she uses it on you... :roll: Oh, wait a minute. Let's think about this. Ah, forget it.

Good luck and safe shooting,

32Magfan

tookalisten

Blackhawk
Slush fund - squirrel away some cash in a good hiding place; soon you will have enough to pick one up. I also have a tin can that I drop all my quarters in, yep, only quarters. I counted them the other day and already had over $150 in just a few months.

My slush fund method? At the grocery store or wal-mart , get $10 or $15 cash back. She won't notice, and just think I bought more groceries than I actually did!!! However, I told her my method a while back, now she doesn't pretend to notice, and I don't say anything about clothes or beauty products. Which honestly are far more expensive than guns.

Hugh

Buckeye
weconway":3qp27nfh said:

I went to the gun shop today and found a barely fired 4" GP100 for $449 (about $100 less than a new one). It had Hogue monogrips on it, which leads me to believe that it isn't that old. It even came with the plastic case.

I called the CFO, but she xnayed the whole thing. This seemed like it's a good deal, but alas I can't argue with the bookkeeper. I can't stop thinking about it. New guns are cheap compared to the hell I'd catch for picking it up!

Just had to rant.

William

I've got a spare 6" blue Security Six .357 only if you're in Utah.

Hugh

Buckeye
Sugar River":ucw8ns6g said:
3 words

Secret Slush Fund!

Pete

Never mind Secret Slush Fund. Your bride needs to understand that you are ready, willing, and able to defend your home. And, the measures you are prepared to take.

Florida-boy

Bearcat
A lot of us here remember reading the ads in the National Rifleman before the GCA of '68 went into effect. There were ads there for a place called "The Sport's Mans Lodge" that sold 1911A1's for $17. I couldn't afford them back then either FWIW.
If your CFP is really money wise she'll want to set you up on a weekly budget. Lets say $100 a week for all expenses. That's your carrying around money. Lunch, gas, etc. comes from there. At the end of the week, anything left over goes in your secret slush fund. Add that to all the extra coins you'll pick up everywhere anywhere and before long you'll have to have an ammo budget.
It's worked for me for 32 years and counting with the same CFO.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Sugar River":1l05mu5i said:
3 words

Secret Slush Fund!
Pete

My three work for me: Public Slush Fund.
We write out a check to each of us, on the first of every month, for $100. No questions asked. Mine pays for my gun-stuff and gunshows. She uses hers for helping out kids and grandkids. Nicer than I am.
We agreed on "the monthly allowance" in order to stop the standard arguments that most couples have over money...and gun-buying.
sonnytoo