drill and tap top frame blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

santabob

Bearcat
been thinking of drilling 2 or 3 holes tapped 6x48 to hold a short piece of rail.3 ".would hold red dot. be low enough to allow use of iron sights when dot off gun. ???
just would like my rear sight on the gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
Most of the mounts when added to the top strap of a Blackhawk do not allow the use of open sights.
And, before anybody else jumps in here, a D&Ted topstrap will reduce the value of the gun if you ever decide to sell it. I'd suggest you possibly use a mount designed to use the factory rear sight hole. Especially since the mount won't allow the use of open sights.
Other options are to get a second gun. One to carry with open sights, and one with the red dot. (A good excuse to buy another gun!) :D

I do not recall there being any mounts (base) 'thin enough" to be mounted on the top strap, left in place, with any 'optic' taken off, to use the rear sight.......and there are NO "see thru" types made for this application...yes it would be nice, but the 'space' is just not there, might as well use a "no gunsmith" mount, and make sure you keep ( save) the rear sight assembly for future use......I too advise to not drill and tap, as the gun will be "devalued" in this being done..............
this being said, I know you can always make something custom, like one of those "Mono mounts" clamps on to the barrel or the receiver tube of a Ruger semi auto 22 and possibly put this "clamp on" onto the forward part of the cylinder frame, and barrel, and use an 'extended eye relief' optic in this application,BUT will this "mono mount" be strong enough to absorb the recoil of a larger, centerfire gun??? hey with enough money, time and thought, ANYTHING is possible, but right now , it's just not out there being made, advertised or sold..........
come up with the "plan, details" get it "patented" and YOU may become "rich", just gotta figure it out, make it work and market it......................

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I did read sometime back where a fellow sent his drilled and tapped Ruger to Ruger for repair. They tossed it in the recycle bin. Maybe a call to them first may not hurt.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
IMHO to D&T one just ruins it. But it`s your gun. Swiss cheese it if you want.

A scope can be installed without destroying the gun.