Dot optic vs laser aiming device

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My EDC handgun(S) have laser aiming devises. My trapline pistol has a dot optic. As I use both, I've come to realize that the laser is much faster to get on target and has visual confirmation of where the bullet is going to hit.
I handle (and actually shoot stuff) with these guns very day--not just blast away at paper on a range.

Buff7mm

Bearcat
I've always had issues with lasers washing out on nice sunshiny days, never had that problem with my red dot.
As far as visual conformation, depending on the lighting the above still holds true for me, but I always hit where the red dot points.

Reflex type of sight washes out in my area on most days. The dot turns into a large fuzzy star. Red dot tube sights, I have 2 and they still work in bright sunlight. Lazers also washout, but not within SD shooting distances.

I'm on the laser list... but I don't rely on it... falls back on what I was taught in a seamanship class.. never trust your life to electronics.... was taught in the class how to figure out where you are with out all that fancy equipment and the same with a defensive weapon... you better not rely on that battery.

krw

Blackhawk
I read where the avg self defense shooting was less than 4ft. At that distance I'm gonna Matt Dillon my pistol and just point it. Very few questions on a 4' self defense shooting where I live, if you shoot much further then lots more questions come into play

originally, Indep., MO - now central Georgia
I have a green laser on my Ruger SR9 and it doesn't washout in normal bright sunlight. I can paint my neighbors fence across the street (100 feet +) and see a perfect bright green dot. It's also much faster on target than my red dot sight. It takes a lot of practice to get your muscle memory to put the red dot on target quick!

Latest posts