Does the SR9 have a second strike capability?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bcj128

Bearcat
Does anyone know if the SR9 have a second strike capability with the trigger, or do you need to rack the slide in case of a hard primer?

john16443

Single-Sixer
If I'm not mistaken, it is the action of the slide that resets the trigger and firing pin. The last part of this operation isn't completed until the slide returns almost all the way to it's normal position.

I know it is possible to pull the trigger forward without racking the slide to make it look like it's ready to go, but don't think this resets the firing pin spring. Without actually reseting the firing pin spring, no second strike.

Ski

Bearcat
bcj128":2gpa33xo said:
Does anyone know if the SR9 have a second strike capability with the trigger, or do you need to rack the slide in case of a hard primer?

No "second strike" capability. You must move the slide back slightly to reset the trigger - you do not have to move it all the way to the rear...

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
FWIW, it's usually hammer-fired DA/SA guns (like Sigs) that have second strike capability, with the notable exception of Taurus' OSS and 7/24 guns, or at least some of them. Honestly, I haven't looked into them, just read about them at one time.

-- Sam

dacaur

Single-Sixer
That's one reason I went with the older p95 over the Sr9.... if a gun is claimed to be DA, it should be able to fire a round every time the trigger is pulled, just just after you rack the slide... correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds like Single action to me, so why not just call it single action? In use, there is no difference, mechanically, I say its debatable... Single action 1911, pull the trigger and it doesn't fire, you have to re-cock it to fire again= single action. Sr9, pull the trigger and it doesn't fire, you have to re-cock it to fire again= single action... Why call it something its not? Whats funny is that the guns that do have second strike capability advertise it like its something special... As if every double action non-striker fired pistol in the world doesn't already have "second strike capability "...

*shrugs* striker fired guns = no thanks....

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
doublebarrel_2":3jfvz3on said:
Walther P99/P99AS is another real DA pistol, so it has second strike capability...
Really?

I thought the P99 was striker fired. I know they have a bunch of trigger variations (or did), but I thought they were all variations on a striker. I don't remember seeing an external hammer, in any case.

Then again, if Taurus can do it with the OSS series, there's no reason Walther can't. In fact, I'll bet Taurus uses a strangely similar mechanism... ;)

-- Sam

A

Anonymous

I fail to see the point in second strike ability. If the gun does not fire, I'm just going to eject that round instead of trying to figure out why it didn't go off. I can count on one hand the amount of dud pistols rounds I've ever had in my life time. .22lr on the other hand is a different story.

bub

Single-Sixer
89grand":lqc2tv8c said:
I fail to see the point in second strike ability. If the gun does not fire, I'm just going to eject that round instead of trying to figure out why it didn't go off. I can count on one hand the amount of dud pistols rounds I've ever had in my life time. .22lr on the other hand is a different story.

This. If it doesn't go off the first time, get it out and keep going. Don't mess around trying to get it to go off.

Bub

doublebarrel_2

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam":1een8q1y said:
Really?

I thought the P99 was striker fired. I know they have a bunch of trigger variations (or did), but I thought they were all variations on a striker. I don't remember seeing an external hammer, in any case.

Then again, if Taurus can do it with the OSS series, there's no reason Walther can't. In fact, I'll bet Taurus uses a strangely similar mechanism... ;)

-- Sam

If my memory serves me right, Walther is the first to make a striker fired pistol that is true DA (I don't call them DA/SA, as a real DA pistol can shoot SA by default, from the second shot on). And their decocking device is also a first, a flat button sitting on top of the slide, so nothing protrudes to get snagged when drawing...

And to 89grand: I agree with you on the striker-fired guns. To re-cock a striker, one needs to pull the slide back a fraction of an inch (same procedure on a P99), which is not as simple and reliable as cocking a hammer. But for hammer-fired guns, I like the total control I have on the current status of the gun, cocked, decocked, etc., I can see as well as feel, and I can change that status anytime I want. Walther has a decocker, but still, I like the full level of control of hammer fired guns. If, say, when I try to holster my gun, I can put my thumb on back of the hammer, and instantly tell when the trigger was caught/tangled with something bacause the hammer is rising up. For shooting in a life saving situation, I agree with you that it's a waste of time trying to second strike a dud...

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
... Or just use a revolver, which moves the defective round out of the way. :D

Thanks for the Walther info. Fascinating guns, and the P99s fit my hand well, but the only one I ever bought was the PPS.

-- Sam

dacaur

Single-Sixer
doublebarrel_2":5u50pol7 said:
(I don't call them DA/SA, as a real DA pistol can shoot SA by default, from the second shot on).

But there are guns with hammers that are actualy DA only, (in fact, there are DAO versions of all the P-series guns IIRC) which can never be fired as SA. So the DA/SA moniker is proper, since you have the choice to fire as either double action or single action.

doublebarrel_2

Bearcat
dacaur":3eos5xzd said:
doublebarrel_2":3eos5xzd said:
(I don't call them DA/SA, as a real DA pistol can shoot SA by default, from the second shot on).

But there are guns with hammers that are actualy DA only, (in fact, there are DAO versions of all the P-series guns IIRC) which can never be fired as SA. So the DA/SA moniker is proper, since you have the choice to fire as either double action or single action.

Sure, I'm just saying how I perceive it, that DA or double action, when it first came out on P38 (if I'm not mistaken), is to help the user with first shot, so pre-cocking the hammer is not necessary. It includes the single action part in its concept. DAO is DA guns with hammers can't stay cocked, so SA part got neutered... I was trying to say that, DAO or DA only, has to be DA first. That is, pulling the trigger will cock the hammer completely, without slide movement at all. So Glock, XD, etc., ain't DAO since they are not even DA... :wink:

dacaur

Single-Sixer
I'm just saying that a "real DA" pistol cant shoot SA. A DA/SA can shoot either... You dont ever have to shoot a DA/SA pistol in DA mode. So you cant shorten DA/SA to just DA, because they really arent interchangeable.... That is, you cant say you have a DA pistol, and expect 100% of people will know that its able to shoot SA as well.... That's all.