Does size matter?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Folks, I love the big boom and bright flash that comes from shooting .44 Magnum revolvers. Consequently, I shoot lots of this caliber in my Ruger Super Blackhawk. My favorite load is using 23 GR of 2400 powder under Hornady 200 GR HP/XTP projectiles. (These are #44100 with a size of .430) I've loaded and shot several hundred of these and just can't get enough of them! :)

I have recently obtained a box of Speer GOLD DOT bullets which are also 200 GR. I see two differences between the packaging of these two bullets:

1) The Hornady bullets, as I've mentioned above, are .430.
2) The Speer bullets are shown to be .429 and are marked as "44 SPECIAL" on the box.

My question is this -- is that size difference between .430 and .429 something that would prohibit me from loading the Speer bullets with my .44 Magnum recipe that I've previously mentioned? Thanks for any insight that you'd care to reply with.

Amistad

mikld

Blackhawk
I would use the bullets interchangeably. A difference of .001" in diameter (.0005" on each side) may have a minor effect on velocity and accuracy, but as with any change in components, a work up is needed. Perhaps the "44 Special" indication is for the bullet's construction; to perform at 44 Special velocities on game...

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Yes , the .44 special bullet probably has a thinner jacket and would violently expand at magnum velocity. A little research at the makers web site should tell the story. As far as being safe in the gun, I would not load them differently at all.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Those 200 gr Gold Dots aren't made to push to 44mag velocities.
The ones I have I loaded with 10grs of HP-38. I estimate the velocity at around 1050fps out of my short bbl 44. They open up nicely.
Those Gold Dots are plated bullets, not jacketed.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
With jacketed or plated bullets you will see some variations in diameter as listed by the manufacturer. In most cases they are expected to be fired in the same size barrel. Keep in mind different bullets may have different loading characteristics because of construction. Always try and get loading data for the bullet you are using.

Mus408

Hunter
The ".44 Special" 200 gr. Gold Dots were designed to give good expansion at velocities in the mid 800 FPS range and can be used at low Magnum speeds up to 1100 FPS. For higher speeds they have the Gold Dot for .44 Magnum.
I did a test of the Specials using my Charter Arms Bull Dog and at 830 FPS average they expand very well into the 4th jug of my water jug test.

tsubaki

Single-Sixer
If you can't get anything else acceptable in the 200gr, get a box of the #44050 and load them to 24.5gr and see if you like that sinus concussion.
Obviously you can load each higher but then we would be up to the ear bleeding level.

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Benny, I do have some of those 180 GR bullets that you mentioned above. I load them with 29.5 GR of H110. That gives me a big ground-shaking boom and a very exciting muzzle flash about two feet long! That's what I'm talkin' about! :)

Many thanks for these replies!

Amistad

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Amistad said:
Benny, I do have some of those 180 GR bullets that you mentioned above. I load them with 29.5 GR of H110. That gives me a big boom and a very exciting muzzle flash! That's what I'm talkin' about! :)

Many thanks for these replies!

Amistad
That isn't doing the barrel face any good. Have you looked at it recently to make sure there isn't any erosion?

Amistad

Single-Sixer
Jimbo, thanks for asking that question. No, I had not done so, but I just now inspected that area with a magnifying glass. I see no erosion at all. I keep a fired-round count on all guns that I buy new, and this is after having fired 965 rounds through this .44 Mag.

Amistad

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
those speer .44 specials are made for much lower velocities. i load those to around 1000 fps, and that would be a wicked self defense load. almost no recoil, and that "flying ashtray" opens up like you would not believe. i think they say their max velocity with that bullet is about 1100 or so. i wouldn't go much more than that. check speer's loading manual. they have a short barrel load for that bullet, iirc...

Latest posts