Does Ruger sight guns in at the factory before shipping ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
Reason I was wandering , I had been noticing a lot of guns , revolvers , Mark series etc. that some times the back sight would be along ways to left , or right instead of close to center , hadn't thought much about it before , or not noticed I guess , made me wonder if one your looking at is a long ways to either side , was it one they had a hard time getting on target , or nothing to worry about ?? I know of course there test fired to make sure they work .

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
cbnutt said:
Reason I was wandering , I had been noticing a lot of guns , revolvers , Mark series etc. that some times the back sight would be along ways to left , or right instead of close to center , hadn't thought much about it before , or not noticed I guess , made me wonder if one your looking at is a long ways to either side , was it one they had a hard time getting on target , or nothing to worry about ?? I know of course there test fired to make sure they work .

Given the production volume I seriously doubt it. Sighting in every gun would add considerable time and cost to the production process. They are mass produced, not customs.

pruger45

Blackhawk
I just traded for a Ruger SBH 480 and the rear sight was waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy to the left. It had been test-fired though as the barrel was dirty and one chamber was dirty and had a ring on the front also. Way to go Ruger. Not the way I'd ship a new gun. Really disappointed and I have an email telling them so!

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
pruger45 said:
I just traded for a Ruger SBH 480 and the rear sight was waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy to the left. It had been test-fired though as the barrel was dirty and one chamber was dirty and had a ring on the front also. Way to go Ruger. Not the way I'd ship a new gun. Really disappointed and I have an email telling them so!
Have you shot it yet ? id be curious if it has to be that far to be on , I wonder on the sight thing if like most factories , there is a box full of them and there just all adjusted every which way , and not changed when put on the gun , then test fired not caring where it hits, as long as it functions ? I might email Ruger on that too, just curious , if there are sighted in id prefer one new in box to be centered .

RSIno1

Hunter
cbnutt said:
noticing a lot of guns..... the back sight would be along ways to left , or right instead of close to center
With such a range I hope they are not sighted in. It would also be expensive and time consuming neither of which Ruger expends if they don't have to. If they are sighted in I'd wager some basic optical ball park method is used.

DGW1949

Hunter
cbnutt said:

I can guarantee you that they didn't "sight in" my new Mini-14, nor could they have even if they'd tried. The reason that I know this is that the gun was shipped with it's front sight so badly canted that there wasn't enough adjustment in the rear sight to bring the two into alignment...not even close.

DGW

wizzard

Bearcat
They don't fire it for accuracy, only function. When I got mine, it was dirty, and way off BUT it cleaned up nice and I was touching bullets at 15yds. No, it's not the way I like to get a new gun, but it was easy to clean and all that was forgotten about by the second shot.

pruger45

Blackhawk
cbnutt said:
pruger45 said:
Have you shot it yet ? id be curious if it has to be that far to be on , I wonder on the sight thing if like most factories , there is a box full of them and there just all adjusted every which way , and not changed when put on the gun , then test fired not caring where it hits, as long as it functions ? I might email Ruger on that too, just curious , if there are sighted in id prefer one new in box to be centered .
Yes, I shot it!

MaxP

Buckeye
All Ruger revolvers get a cylinder full of proof loads though them. They do not sight their guns in however. That would be very costly and time consuming.

Sugar River

Buckeye
When I first took the armourer's course in Newport in '85, the practice was to sight in all the fixed sight revolvers, but not the adjustables. This was with Security, Service, Speed Six series.
With LE orders they would sight in fixed sight guns with a load specified by the department with both the Six series and the GPs.

s4s4u

Hunter
pruger45 said:
cbnutt said:
pruger45 said:
Yes, I shot it!

And, where did it shoot relative to POA?

cbnutt

Single-Sixer
And, where did it shoot relative to POA?[/quote] that's what I was wandering too .

BPGuy

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
I can guarantee you that they didn't "sight in" my new Mini-14, nor could they have even if they'd tried. The reason that I know this is that the gun was shipped with it's front sight so badly canted that there wasn't enough adjustment in the rear sight to bring the two into alignment...not even close.

DGW

LOL! Reminds me of the Redhawk .45 Colt/.45 ACP I bought last summer. It showed up with the rear sight blade broken! Ruger did replace it free of charge, of course.

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Sighted in........no way. I wouldn't even bet on all of them even being test fired. Why do I say that? Because I bought a brand new 22/45 Lite that no way it was fired, because the gun wouldn't function as it came from box

gyrhed

Bearcat
gtxmonte said:
Sighted in........no way. I wouldn't even bet on all of them even being test fired. Why do I say that? Because I bought a brand new 22/45 Lite that no way it was fired, because the gun wouldn't function as it came from box

No way they do. I agree. Maybe they are supposed to and someone says they do but I have seen a Blackhawk in a gun store that came from the factory with the cylinder locked tight, sights bent, etc. My first red hawk couldn't be made to hit the point of aim without significant file work. Thank goodness it had lots.of issues and they sent me.a.completely new gun.

softpoint

Bearcat
They couldn't have sighted in the .22 auto I posted about over in the semi-auto forum. They shipped that one out without rifling the barrel! It would keyhole all over the target at 15 yards.