does Ruger make a J frame size revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I am looking for a small frame .357 with a 2 inch barrel.
I already have some S&W J frame pistols in .38 Special.
I want to get one in .357 Magnum.

So does Ruger make a small frame .357 mag with a 2 inch barrel that is the same size as a S&W J frame and will it use the same holster ?
I have several holsters for the S&W J frame and would like to keep using them.

wwb

Hunter
SP-101 is darn close, but not sure if it's an exact match - probably a tad bigger than the Smith. If the holster is not a tight fit, it ought to work.

eveled

Hawkeye
My SP101 does not fit in any of my J frame holsters. You do know that there are J frame .357's right? As much as I love Rugers, I carry an airweight J frame, more than any other gun. Ed

Arky

Single-Sixer
My Wife's J-frame 38+P and my SP in 357 both fit the same holsters (other than the barrel length, her's is 1 7/16 in and my SP is 3 in.). We have a couple of cheap ballistic cloth holsters, a Simply Rugged pancake, and a "Minimalist" and both guns fit fine. I do think you will find the J-frame to be a lot lighter than the SP which is great for a 38 but not so great for a 357.

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
Thanks for the responses.
I do know S&W makes a J frame 357 I was just looking for other options and Ruger is the only other one out there I would want.

What about the Speed Six ? Is that smaller than the SP101 ?
I haven't seen many of them but there are a few out there.

hittman

Staff member
Speed Six ~ along with the Security Six and Service Six ~ are larger than the SP, the same size as the K Frame Smiths like models 10, 15, 66, etc.

rangerbob

Buckeye
You need to look at Ruger's LCR in .357, it's the closest thing to a J frame in 357. The LCR's usually fit most J frame holsters. The 8 shot LCR in .22 makes a great understudy and trainer. I went with the Smith :D M&P 340 and a M43 as a trainer. Bob!

Joe S.

Hunter
My LCR fit my J frame pocket holster but was tight so i just bought another pocket holster for the LCR.

JB696

Bearcat
One thing I noticed. The lower gun in the picture has an ugly hole right above the crane release button. The other one doesn't. Just looking at the two for a minute, the upper one seems to be better proportioned and overall, just more attractive. I think I'd rather have the top one. :wink:

rangerbob

Buckeye
JB696, that hole is the keyhole for the lock on the S&W. BTW, that button is called a cylinder release latch or thumbpiece. S&W's don't have cranes, they have yokes. Bob! :)

pisgah

Buckeye
Although it's kind of "chubby", the SP101 will fit pretty well in many J-frame holsters. The LCR will, too, and is much lighter. To me, the SP exudes indestructibility, while the LCR -- well, it does not. Both feelings are probably unjustified.

Timber Wolf

Single-Sixer
JB696 said:
One thing I noticed. The lower gun in the picture has an ugly hole right above the crane release button. The other one doesn't. Just looking at the two for a minute, the upper one seems to be better proportioned and overall, just more attractive. I think I'd rather have the top one. :wink:

My (older) 642 does not have that ugly hole of which you speak. :wink: And I agree, I too would rather gaze upon (and shoot) my SP101! But the 642 sure does pack easy.