Do I need a Redhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mill428

Bearcat
Okay, I realize right off the bat I did at least two things I shouldn't have. ONE, I used the word "need" in reference to the acquisition of an additional firearm, and TWO, I am on a Ruger forum asking what seems to be a silly question for Ruger folks. But this is the basis for my question:

I have owned many BH's and SBH's over the years (although nothing in comparison to many here). I love Ruger single actions. Up until about four years ago, I had no double actions of any kind - ever. At that time I started buying S&W's to fill that void. I had always been enamored with the look and feel of a finely tuned Smith trigger. They were beautiful (to me) inside and out. Quite a few have passed through my hands in those years in the quest for the perfect four (in my mind). I traded and bartered for years ending up with what I thought were the S&W's that would perfectly fill the double-action niche. I have a 640 no-dash .38 sp., 2.5" 66-2 .357, 4" 19-5 .357, and a 4" 629-1 .44mag. The subject of this post is mainly about the 629.

96168230-4c39-4365-89a0-85a5cc025960_zps877e1776.jpg

It is a beautiful revolver and I love shooting it. It was Magna-ported before I got it along with some trigger work. I don't know that the porting does much - maybe a little. I guess what I am concerned with is the idea that it can be worn out over time by shooting heavy loads. I realize anything can wear out over time given enough abuse, but when I buy something like this it is for a lifetime and then handed down. I buy tools with the same mindset. I don't want something working for a short time and then have to be replaced. I KNOW a RH or a SRH is a bank vault. A tool that, when cared for properly, can take a lot of abuse and live (very well) to tell about it. From my research over time, here and elsewhere, the Ruger double actions will outlive a S&W given the same treatment.

That said, I live in the middle of Kansas, surrounded by trees and farm ground. We have no grizzlies (although on rare occasion a mountain lion). Nothing dangerous other than a few pesky snakes. The biggest game is whitetail deer which on a good day I can shoot from my front porch. I have plans to hunt something bigger someday - maybe an elk or two. At this time, I don't shoot much in the way of high powered loads. I do reload, but most of it is for practice and fun with the kids. If I need to get crazy, I have a slick .44 mag Bisley SBH, I have worked over a little. But it is not a double action.

I am first and foremost a shooter - on the rare occasion a collector. All of my firearms at this point have a specific purpose or fill a particular niche (in my mind). I don't have a huge number (although, my wife would probably argue that point). I value quality over quantity. My desire is to get to a place where I can have both, but to get an additional gun now, I have to be able to justify it to some degree. Don't get me wrong - I would LOVE to have a Redhawk (or SRH) - but I have to have a good reason.

So...do I "need" a RH or a SBH (.44 mag)? Do I replace the 629 with a RH?

Just so you know, it is mainly the fault of this forum that I am even raising this question. :D I was blissfully unaware of the difference until spending time here. There so many here extolling the virtues of the Ruger double action that I have no choice but to ask. While certainly anyone can weigh in on this, I would love to hear from those who may have had experience with both. Oh, and pictures are always a welcome object lesson.

Thanks,
Craig

Yes, you need a Redhawk; and keep the 29. Based on my experience you won't regret having/shooting either or both. If you enjoy the Smith trigger, be forewarned the Redhawk will be different, and will likely require some "wearing in". I have both and which do I shoot the most? Redhawk.

BTW, I don't have enough experience with the SRH to comment either way - I recently bought one in 44 mag and am turning it into an Alaskan type - but haven't even shot it yet.

MaxP

Buckeye
Everyone "needs" a Redhawk! I have and have had Model 29s and while I like them, there is something comforting about knowing you can load it from the bottom of the loading manual and never hurt it. The same cannot be said for the Smith.....

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
Being that your gun is a 629-1 and doesn't have all the endurance package upgrades that the later dash numbers had, there is more likelihood you will "shoot it loose" with heavy 44 magnum. That said...

What do you consider "heavy"? That gun should take a steady diet of ammo loaded at or below current factory loadings with a 240 grain bullet. Now, if you are going to run 300+ grain bullets over a case full of H110 or the like, then you're probably going to have some issues and should consider buying a Redhawk, Super Redhawk, or Super Blackhawk. But buy "in addition to" the Smith, not for replacement.

Smith and Wesson, as far as I know, still fixes the guns they sell. Too much of an issue is made, in my humble opinion, about "what if I shoot the gun loose?" If in the rare event you do that, send it back to Smith and they will fix it, usually on their dime. There's a reason to buy guns like Smiths and Rugers, and the willingness to stand behind their products is one of them.

Beautiful gun, by the way. If you ever decide to sell it.....

GaryVA

Bearcat
The 629 is an excellent revolver. A Redhawk is easy on my eyes and a favorite, but the 629 is more refined in my opinion. If the primary intent was to shoot ammo no heavier than 240 -250 grain bullets at 1200-1400 FPS, and you favor the 629, I'd stick with what you've got. If the primary intent was to shoot full-pressure heavy-bullet .44 Magnum loads on a steady basis, then the Redhawk would be a top choice.

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
I'm gonna join with the others ... if you want a Redhawk, go for it, but don't get rid of that 629. I've got a 29-2 with a 4" barrel and I do not find it interesting to shoot with full-house loads. OTOH, it is a fine piece shooting Unique and cast boolets. like everyone is saying, you won't find the sort of refinement you get in an N Frame Smith in other factory offerings ...

Lee Martin

Hunter
I've been shooting mine a lot of late. I also upgraded to a set of Arhends grips.

S_W_629_2.jpg

Redhawks are hard to beat though when it comes to strength and durability. S&W's tend point better and the actions are smoother from the factory (at least in my opinion). Beyond that it turns into a Ginger vs. Mary Ann discussion. Both are excellent models.

mill428

Bearcat
Wow! when I posted this, I wasn't certain of the responses. To some degree, I did expect the pro "need" replies but you guys went above and beyond in helping me think through this decision. Honestly, I had taken the 629 to a gun show a couple of weeks ago thinking I would trade it if I found something - namely a RH or .45 Bisley Vaquero (I know two completely different animals). While I didn't find anything, I'm glad I didn't at this point. I like the rationale that is being presented. I was aware that the action of the RH would be a little less refined - but could be changed.

Hammerdown77, I shoot at mostly factory load levels using 240 grain cast or XTP's. I had planned on working up a hotter load for my SBH in the 300+ grain bullet range. If I ran them through the 629, it probably wouldn't be more than a box a year. I don't necessarily have a use for a load that hot at this point but I wanted to have something ready should the need arise. I really want to get into casting my own bullets, but that's a conversation for another time. It is also good to know that S&W will make things right if things get loose. Right now the lock up is tight.

Lee, once again, stunning revolver! Do you own any ugly guns? I hadn't thought about it being a Ginger and Mary Ann discussion but I guess that pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Thanks again guys for the insight. A lot of wisdom gained from experience. Keep it coming!

Craig

RonEgg

Blackhawk
On the other hand just to add more to the quandary, a Redhawk 4" in .45 is just about perfect.

bigbill

Single-Sixer
My very first S&W in 44mag is the new 29-10 and she is suppose to eat any steady diet of 44mag i feed her and want more. Its suppose to be the best quality S&W has to offer in 44mag. For a purdy revolver that feels good in our hands with some history behind the S&W company the m29-10 is a great revolvver. But for the peterbuilt / mack truck of the 44mags the redhawk is unmatched. I own many of both.

mill428

Bearcat
RonEgg said:
On the other hand just to add more to the quandary, a Redhawk 4" in .45 is just about perfect.

Okay, I am not sure I needed hear that! My brain can only process so much (as can my wallet :) ). I started a love affair with the .45 Colt round several years ago when I started reloading that caliber. If I had a better source for cast bullets, it would probably be the round I spent the most time with.

Craig

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
Depending on your hand structure and how you grip the gun, the limiting factor in whether you can shoot heavy 300+ grain loads in the 629 may depend more on you than the gun.

An occasional couple of cylinders full of the heavier stuff should be fine. I wouldn't worry about it. Again, the limiter will probably be you. The silhouette guys who shot them loose put lots and lots of 300 grain loads through their guns. That's not what the average owner would be shooting.

Honestly, your SBH may be the best platform for the heavy stuff.

427mach1

Blackhawk
Everyone needs a Redhawk! I have a 7-1/2" 44 SBH, 6-1/2" 41 BH, and a 5-1/2" 41 Redhawk. My "go-to" gun for the woods is my Redhawk. For some reason it just fits me better than the other two and I shoot it much better, too. I've never shot a 629, but I agree you should keep it and get a Redhawk to keep it company.

41magnumredhawk3.jpg

exlogger

Single-Sixer
From someone who has owned a 629 and a Redhawk...they are both fine revolvers. But when it comes to hunting, the Redhawk provides a broader variety of ammo. Due to the 629's shorter cylinder my favorite hunting load would not fit.

I've had my Redhawk for 17 years and it has been a gem. A very large revolver, but I don't mind the feel of a quality chunk of Pittsburgh steel. They are well built and handle the recoil better than most. I predict you will not be disappointed.

RedWin2_zps2b2779f8.jpg

RonEgg

Blackhawk
My Redhawk was the last one David Clements made before stopping this conversion in 2007. Right after I sent this RH off, Ruger started building them with the 4" barrel. He has started back with the Redhawks, however I do't believe he "slab sides" the barrel anymore.