Did you even know Ruger made this version?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I don't how I missed this....

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/2250/ruger+sp101+327fed+42+adjustable+sights+stainless+steel

I love my little Single Six .32 Magnums. My blue 4 5/8ths has had thousands of hams loads run through it. I don't even own an SP-101... I knew they made it in .327 but I thought that had short barrels and/fixed sights. 4.2 inch barrel, adjustable fiber optic sights... I think that would become my new walking around in the woods gun. Probably use 90% .32 H&R hand loads in it but having the possibility of .327 is useful.

Half my stimulus check may go right there. I will stimulate Ruger!

Do people have these and love them?

Gregg

32magfan

Blackhawk
I bought mine when it first came out. I also snagged the .22 in the same configuration. Strangely, I have not gotten the .357 version. I have several .22, 32H&R and 327 SP101"s, even a 9mm but no .38"s or .357 magnums.

I like the 327 SP101 but the fiber-optic sight is not ideal for target work. It is quicker to pick up on steel plates and other reactivate targets.

If you reload, the max load from the annual Hodgdon manual for Clays with a 115grain RNFP bullet should give close to 1,000fps from the 4" barrel. It's a good everyday load without being as obnoxious as some of the factory stuff.
Happy shooting!!

32Magfan

32shooter

Blackhawk
The only SP model I own. I do need to get it out and run a few rounds through it, it has been a while.

needsmostuff

Blackhawk
Funny as it sounds the easy to pack around , the utility gun niche is one of the hardest to fill. The 4 inch SP 101 nails it and if your a 327 fan it's Two nails !
Often over built for heavy duty , high-pressure hunting guns or trimmed to inefficient short barreled snubby self defense guns the 327 has a hard time finding its purpose.
As seen in the picture of 327s below the 4" Sp fits a beautiful middle ground .

413843328.jpg

413529763.jpg

The 4" barrel can efficiently burn the slower powders and the adj. (real ) sights make it a civilized capable shooter that disappears on your belt.
Now,,, if they just trim the silly underlug it might just be perfect.

I like the 327 SP101 but the fiber-optic sight is not ideal for target work. It is quicker to pick up on steel plates and other reactivate targets.

I'm sure that's true. I have fiber optics on one of my Ruger MK IV's... between the round front sight and the shallow circular rear... I can't shoot very good groups with it at all. Can't be consistent. Need to change out the rear blade anyway. But in the case of the SP .327... I would probably only shoot it on targets long enough to get a zero locked down. After that, it would be carried around the property a lot and mostly used to kill vermin or just plink a few rounds when down by the creek or a pond. At 58 years old, my eyes can barely use simple black square sights on targets... can't use them worth anything in the woods on unevenly lit and partly obscured varmints that are squabbling through brush. I've got scopes and red dots on several handguns now... but for a small and light every day gun, fiber optics seem like a good way to go.

If you reload, the max load from the annual Hodgdon manual for Clays with a 115grain RNFP bullet should give close to 1,000fps from the 4" barrel. It's a good everyday load without being as obnoxious as some of the factory stuff.

In my little Single Six, I mainly use the Sierra 90 grain JHC for varmint shooting. I played around with the Skeeter/Dean reloading data from a long ago Guns Magazine article. Way over factory loads, way over anything in a manual... the SAAMI specs have to allow for much weaker guns than the Single Six. Skeeter and Dean got up to 1500 fps with the 85 grain JHP in a 6.5" SS... I got all the way up to that load but it was flattening my primers and seemed like more punch than I really needed. I dropped it down a bit and ended up with a load far better than .32 H&R Mag factory but not as hard on the brass and gun. It is a sweet little round. I've bought some hard cast .32 bullets and reloading them is in my "plan" but I never seem to get around to it. If I actually bought one of the SP's... that would probably get me to do it.

Gregg

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
It is a dandy walking in the woods gun. Really like mine. I've also got a 3" SP101 in 32H&R and recently purchased the Charter Arms Professional. 7 Shot 32 H&R w/ 3" bbl. Front fiber optic sight is way to tall for it though.