Did Ruger ever make a 45/70?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rangerbob

Buckeye
The #1 S was cataloged for decades in 45-70 along with the 7mm RM, 300WM, and 338 WM. I recently had a SS laminated #1 in 45-70. So the answer is yes. Bob!! 8)

JohnBoy

Blackhawk
MINNESOTA - 6 months winter and 6 months rough sle
I remember watching one of my friends shoot his Ruger #3 in .45-70 off a bench - taller fellow - really leaned into it. The recoil rattled him good.

After taking one shot - and then staggering around a bit - he asked if I wanted to shoot it. I politely declined.

Then he asked if I wanted to buy it from him. Again, I declined.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
if he had it loaded with top loads, yes it will kick. but mid range loads 1500-1800 fps are not bad.

grobin

Blackhawk
I should have said what I am after in my original post. A friend has a BFR in 45/70 he wants to sell. I'm considering it, but want a companion rifle. I've a couple Henry's but don't fancy a lever gun in 45/70. I'm wondering if anyone made/makes a bolt action 45/70. I thought that Ruger did at one time.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
I have a navy arms bolt action 45-70 built on a 98 Siamese action that is very strong and I have fired very heavy reloads thru it. a 350gr Hornady bullet at 2300 fps is not a sissy load. and it would kill any animal in the world.

pete44ru

Hunter
eastbank said:
I have a navy arms bolt action 45-70 built on a 98 Siamese action that is very strong and I have fired very heavy reloads thru it. a 350gr Hornady bullet at 2300 fps is not a sissy load. and it would kill any animal in the world.

IIRC, Gibbs Rifle Co (google) still offers .45-70 bolt guns.

grobin

Blackhawk
From their website they appear to be defunct! :cry:

BTW there are some single breaks in current production by Henry & CVS. There appears to be at least one drilling, but I don't know anything about ir.

CaliforniaKid

Bearcat
If you haven't bought the Magnum Research BFR in .45-70 yet you might think about it for a while longer. I had one, key being had, and while the recoil was not abusive as some would have you believe, it's just extremely impractical. It weighs a ton, as do the shells if your hiking with one. In a belt holster it catches on everything, being so long, and in a shoulder holster I could hardly lift straight up far enough to clear the rig. It's fun at the range, and that's about it. Get a .45 long colt or 44 magnum and you'll have a lot more fun with either. I'm pretty physically fit but holding that monster up to fire accurately wears you out. I also have the Henry H010 lever in .45-70. Love it. Nice recoil pad, very comfortable to shoot.

As I mentioned I put it on consignment at my LGS and it was there for quite awhile before someone bought it. He, by the way, put a cylinder through it and put it back on consignment at the LGS where it may still be. There's a reason your friend wants to sell his!

grobin

Blackhawk
Thanks! I'm still thinking, but I've fired it and with light loads it's a fun range toy. Not sure I'm up for it though. The length isn't that bad but the weight is something else! Just something else neat I don't really need.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
JohnBoy said:
I remember watching one of my friends shoot his Ruger #3 in .45-70 off a bench - taller fellow - really leaned into it. The recoil rattled him good.

After taking one shot - and then staggering around a bit - he asked if I wanted to shoot it. I politely declined.

Then he asked if I wanted to buy it from him. Again, I declined.

Why? Reload for it and you can go from very light to very stout. Great guns. Don

single action

Single-Sixer
Killed a very nice boar in northern California with my number one in 45. 70. As well as blue wildebeest in South Africa. Used the hornady leverevolution ammo. Much more accurate less recoil went through both animals. I highly recommend that caliber. IMHO Bob