Installing Red Dot on Mk IV Target BB 10" barrel w/suppressor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pharbach

Bearcat
Would like to install a red dot sight on my Mk IV Target bull barrel pistol with 10" barrel and suppressor installed.
If I put an "inserted" red dot in place of the rear sight, will it "see" over the installed suppressor, or would I need a rail installed in place of the rear sight ( what brand?) to mount a red dot sight? ...Or would machining threads into barrel be needed to mount rail?
Thanks!

Welcome to the Ruger forum.

Yes

A rimfire suppressor should be the same diameter as the barrel on your Mark IV.

Attachments

• 20230104_061559.jpg
    20230104_061559.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 54
You won't have any clearance issues with the typical 22lr can. I think the series IV already has threaded holes for scope mounting? Find a Weaver or picatinny rail that fits w/o removing the rear sight. Add a dot optic to this 'rail' and you're good.
I have a dot mount that uses the rear sight dovetail but it's not as solid as even a 2 screw rail or base. I also have a dot mounted using the short rail and find it much nicer(you don't have to remove your rear sight).
Welcome to the forum. A few of us have some experience with muffled Ruger pistols. One of the really fun guns IMHO.

pharbach

Bearcat
You won't have any clearance issues with the typical 22lr can. I think the series IV already has threaded holes for scope mounting? Find a Weaver or picatinny rail that fits w/o removing the rear sight. Add a dot optic to this 'rail' and you're good.
I have a dot mount that uses the rear sight dovetail but it's not as solid as even a 2 screw rail or base. I also have a dot mounted using the short rail and find it much nicer(you don't have to remove your rear sight).
Welcome to the forum. A few of us have some experience with muffled Ruger pistols. One of the really fun guns IMHO.

pharbach

Bearcat
I have the 10" barrel coming back soon from getting the barrel threaded force suppressor. Was not sure there were mount holes for a rail till I spoke to the machinist in TX. He had mine in hand and said there WAS mount holes (plugged) force rail. As a matter of fact he had a rail on hand for the Mk IV Target and will be shipping that WITH the reworked barrel.
Had Grumpy's in TX do it, as I heard great reviews. He's a really personable guy who knows his stuff concerning Mk III's & Mk IV's. He's got jigs mad for them. I highly endorse him!

pharbach

Bearcat
Thanks! My barrel is coming back to me after being machined for a threaded barrel for a suppressor. It was out of sight, so I had no clue when I wrote the post.

Articruger: what mount do you have for this red dot? It looks really nice like that.

i can ga ron tee a Lobo mount is the cat's meow.

pharbach

Bearcat
It's gonna be a standard RUGER mount for a MkIV bull barrel. It just so happened that I was on the phone with Dan at Grumpy's Guns in Arlington TX, and he had the Ruger mount just laying around and will be shipping it to me with the 10" barrel he put the threads on for a suppressor. He had told me that the barrel had plug screws to remove to install the mount. I got the mount at cost for $17, with no tax and shipping (is being sent with finished barrel). He's a personable guy who really knows his stuff and is known for quality work!

Articruger: what mount do you have for this red dot? It looks really nice like that.
That mount is a MaddMacs Center mount 2.0. The site is a Holosun HE508T-GR

The plus of using the rear sight dovetail is it moves the dot back over the hand. On my 22/45 II, all I had to do was nip a bit out of the upper area of the holster to make it fit. The pistol with the rail mounted dot requires a specific made holster with a longer slotted area to clear the rail. Maybe not important but finding a holster that will handle a long barrel w/muffler AND a rail mounted dot optic is a big order. I had to make mine from scratch.

Latest posts