Decoding a OM Single Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Axehandle

Buckeye
New Single Six on the way home today.... This is a 22 Mag Single Six. 6.5 inch barrel in nice shape... No box and has been converted with no old parts. Possibility hanging that box and parts will come later... Knew it was coming so spent some time with RENE before I went to pick it up... Snapped a few pics but missed a pic of the "No Eagle" on the barrel...
Here are some of the details that RENE uses as distinguishing characteristics.
Marked 22 WIN Mag
001-70.jpg

XR3 grip frame and black eagle grips
003-60.jpg

Flat ejector button
004-50.jpg

Steel EJRH
006-32.jpg

No number etched in cylinder
008-8.jpg

No firing pin groove
009-13.jpg

Ruger's web site dates the serial number 1961..
007-17.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
Good Work, Axe! Yup, a classic example of the RSSMW.

Previous owner didn't understand how to Fan the gun properly....... from the looks of the breech face of the cylinder.. :shock:

You may have one chamber that's going to require a little "work"....

JMHO,

flatgate

flatgate":2ho6h194 said:
Good Work, Axe! Yup, a classic example of the RSSMW.

Previous owner didn't understand how to Fan the gun properly....... from the looks of the breech face of the cylinder.. :shock:

You may have one chamber that's going to require a little "work"....

JMHO,

flatgate

Yep makes ya wonder why they didn't have a firing pin grove like the LR.
I'm not real sure how ya even do that. I had a mag cyl. that was all beat to crap from the firing pin.
Looks like a very nice RSSM
Jim

chet15

Hawkeye
Wyandot Jim":1epnuf1m said:
Jim

Ruger couldn't keep all kinds of splatter from coming out the breech end when the Mag. was fired, so had to have full support around the rim.
Chet15

chet15":4l7rypfe said:
Wyandot Jim":4l7rypfe said:
Jim

Ruger couldn't keep all kinds of splatter from coming out the breech end when the Mag. was fired, so had to have full support around the rim.
Chet15
Chet,
Thanks for the info. Good having you guys around. That was a big puzzle to me. Now "I know the rest of the story"

Yes, the "dings" and divots around the chambers are from "misuse" ,abuse, neglect," improper installation, whatever...see it all too often....nice gun, and NO this "mag" cylinder would NOT have the numbers "etched" into the face of the cylinder, this would be on the "later", spare, .22 Long Rifle cylnder for this gun...just the opposite on the convertibles that the "mag" cylinder is the "spare" ( extra) cylinder...yes, gets a bit confusing at times....nice gun and very nice pictures...........

Axehandle

Buckeye
+1 on those fine looking XR3 grips... I might have bought the gun just to get those grips for the 10 inch OM 357... :wink:

Little gun did make some good pics didn't it! Helped that the sun was behind the clouds... My little personal effort to fan the OM flame!

americal

Hunter
I've always called that blond walnut :) see it on old Browning shot guns--- looks great------- Grips can sure help the looks of A gun 8) amazing sometimes :!:

Latest posts