David Bradshaw Photos - Vol. XXIII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lee Martin

Hunter
Leupold's first spotting scope 20x50mm

Huge eyepiece of Leupold 20x50mm belonbgs on all spotters.

Leupold weatherproofing extends to spotters.

Schmidt & Bender 4x36mm, German #4 reticle

M6 with 16.8" bbl, Ruger AC 556 flash hider

Leupolds for M6, 2x IER, 2-3/4x IER, Vari-X III 2.5-8x36mm (Ger #4).

Pump folder with Eze-Lap diamond impregnated steel.

Spyderco sharpening kit

Spyderco white ceramic, used more on trigger work than knives

Ruger 03 .45 Colt

Ruger 03 lays where pot was, hit from 200 yards

AkRay

Single-Sixer
I bought a Leupold 20x50 spotter just like yours earlier this fall, David. It came from a guy who moved here to Fairbanks from Idaho. I like it. It's very light and handy. I hope to use it to identify the 4th brow tine on bull moose next fall in this one area with antler restrictions.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
AkRay.... believe you'll like the Leupold 20x50mm. Just learned on Singleactions forum that Leupold also made a 20x60mm. 20x is about all the magnification I can handle rested on rock or against a tree, especially in a wind. The huge eyepiece is a major factor in the utility of this glass, along with Leupold weatherproofing. Don't see too many shooters spotting through a Howa in a pouring rain.

Contender.... yes, the boy goat was turning into Billy the Bully. Having broken a horn off a doe, he was shaping up for a life of rough play. A Speer Gold Dot 260 JHP through the top vertebra fetched him to heaven, the meat pole, and then, ten days later, the freezer. Practically any bullet works for execution. Certainly there was no need to hit him with a Nosler 250 JHP over 24.7 grains of 296/H110 from the Ruger 03 .45 Colt (the load which knocked the milk pot off the rock). After all, there's chickadees and blue jays thirty feet away, feeding fat from other critters.

In the cut line----caption----with photo of a folding knife, I misspelled PUMA. I think that's Puma Game Warden model. Haven't seen that beautiful blade cataloged in years. True sharpening stainless. An honest folder of great utility on game. And livestock.
David Bradshaw

I_Like_Pie

Blackhawk
That is quite the pictorial...Story of Billy the Bully Goat. Love it!

Looks like he bullied a bit too much. Some of them are downright mean.

I've tried goat tacos before. They are actually pretty good. I'm not sure if they eat Goat in Bulgaria I haven't seen any before but they eat a lot of lamb. I bet you had to cook that tough guy a little longer than normal.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
I've tried goat tacos before. They are actually pretty good. I'm not sure if they eat Goat in Bulgaria I haven't seen any before but they eat a lot of lamb. I bet you had to cook that tough guy a little longer than normal.

Hi, Kevin

My brother in law's a farm advisor for the Extension Service. He raised sheep for many years and we've had a lot of good lamb when he raised 'em, but he told me recently more goat is eaten worldwide than any other domestic animal, including chickens! I'm skeptical of the chicken part, but he could be right.

There's a Mexican restaurant near here which serves southern Mexican style food, from way down south. They have great goat tacos, and use goat in some of their other dishes, too. Theirs is good stuff!

Rick C

snappy

Single-Sixer
contender said:
I found out about the goat! :D

That guy does look like he had a little badger in him.

Mr Bradshaw your collection of glass seems the perfect compliment to the utilitarian M6. What a great setup. Thanks again for the post.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Rick C.... no idea what domestic animal constitutes a worldwide meat. Goats are widely distributed over the range of my limited travel. Hauled, yesterday, a load of organic hay for goats. Goats and horses are much pickier eaters than cows. And, yes, goat wants to be aged and cooked well. Lamb cooked rare, such as the illustrious lamb chop, is much more tender. While people who raise livestock on a limited scale develop personal bonds with their animals, there comes at time when the life of one animal becomes victuals for another. Animals represented here have had it good.
David Bradshaw

M'BOGO

Buckeye
David,

Love the M6, makes my wheels spin, big fan of the scout concept.

The "stones" in my Spiderco set have smoothed several sears, and the set is on my kitchen table as I type.

As always thanks for sharing,

Marc

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Marc.... I believe the Spyderco white ceramic stones are made by Coors. There are times that's the only stone I have that will remove a tiny, maddening glitch from a sear or trigger.

The Remington M6 (Model 7600 with checkered Walnut, and a cartridge case head embedded in the barrel block) is, of course, a Model 760 with four instead of a whole bunch of locking lugs. And the barrel of the M6/M7600 is full floating----a detail easily arranged on the earlier 760. Browning introduced a pump rifle to compete against the Remington. I handled but did not shoot the Browning; it looked more complex, felt heavier, and cost more. Don't remember whether barrel was full float.

Reloading for a Rem pump is country simple. Some chambers prefer small base FL size die, while others work perfectly with standard FL die set. Accuracy is on a par with many bolt rifles, often superior. Reliability in ice and snow far exceeds Browning and, obviously, Remington autoloaders. As a stand gun, pump speed is mostly superfluous. As a jump gun, the speed may spell the difference.
David Bradshaw

M'BOGO

Buckeye
I've worried that those stones were going to get worn, but they held fast. Used to take them on "mini deployments" when I was in the army, and sharpen the blades for folks in the platoon, and friends throughout the company. They have been cleaned many times with comet, as a result of being loaded up with steel from use. still puts a shaving edge on a blade after honing with the white stone, and a strop.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Marc.... good call, to wash sharpening stones with Comet and warm water. Detergent & water, rubbed with fingers, also works, and is my preference for diamond impregnated steel.
David Bradshaw

gunsbam69

Hunter
David Bradshaw said:
AkRay.... believe you'll like the Leupold 20x50mm. Just learned on Singleactions forum that Leupold also made a 20x60mm. 20x is about all the magnification I can handle rested on rock or against a tree, especially in a wind. The huge eyepiece is a major factor in the utility of this glass, along with Leupold weatherproofing. Don't see too many shooters spotting through a Howa in a pouring rain.

Contender.... yes, the boy goat was turning into Billy the Bully. Having broken a horn off a doe, he was shaping up for a life of rough play. A Speer Gold Dot 260 JHP through the top vertebra fetched him to heaven, the meat pole, and then, ten days later, the freezer. Practically any bullet works for execution. Certainly there was no need to hit him with a Nosler 250 JHP over 24.7 grains of 296/H110 from the Ruger 03 .45 Colt (the load which knocked the milk pot off the rock). After all, there's chickadees and blue jays thirty feet away, feeding fat from other critters.

In the cut line----caption----with photo of a folding knife, I misspelled PUMA. I think that's Puma Game Warden model. Haven't seen that beautiful blade cataloged in years. True sharpening stainless. An honest folder of great utility on game. And livestock.
David Bradshaw

Sounds like he had it comin :mrgreen:

Latest posts