Damaged Receiver From Factory?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

cbzdel

Bearcat
Well just last week I posted up about searching for an American All Weather Rifle in .308 only to find out they have been discontinued. Well I went out searching and found a dealer than had a new one in stock and bought it.

Today I took the stock off it to give it a good cleaning only to find out the front v-block screw came mis-thread from the factory. It seems that the screw it self seems to have faulty thread on it and it was driven into the receiver like that. I had another screw of the same size and was unable to screw it in, and did not want to force it in a possibly mess it up more. I am debating what to do at this point, should I go buy a tap and try to simply run that through? I am worried about causing more harm than good. Should I contact Ruger and have them repair it?

Out of the dozens of firearms I have purchased new this this is the first one to ever come with any sort of factory flaw so I am not sure how people typically handle this sort of thing?

Here is a picture of the screw damage itself, I was however unable to get a clear image of the damage to the screw threads in the receiver.
2yni1pu.jpg

Thanks in advance!

pisgah

Buckeye
I'd use the correct-size tap and plenty of oil and gingerly chase out the threads of the hole. A new screw should then go in fine.

RSIno1

Hunter
Low paid assemblers working for quantity not quality = the new Ruger.
I'd fix it myself - but first make sure there will be enough threads left when cleaned up. If you are not sure call Ruger and have them send you a shipping label.

hittman

Staff member
Since you got it used you don't really know that happened at the factory.
Let Ruger tell you it was their defect. Then they'll fix it for free.
Yeah, I'd call them.

57springer

Buckeye
hittman said:
Yeah, I'd call them.
I think it was new .

cbzdel

Bearcat
hittman said:
Yeah, I'd call them.

It was brand new, not used. The rifle was just discontinued so there was still remaining stock to be sold.

As for the other replies, thank you for your input. I will contact Ruger this week and let them repair it. I want to be sure this is fixed right so I don't run into issues in the future.

hittman

Staff member
Ooops ..... my bad, I see now that it is new. :oops:

Yeah, having the mother ship check it out is the best.

Dranrab

Single-Sixer
Get Ruger to send you a shipping label. Send it back. They are good at handling repair work. They have a lot of experience.

Latest posts