Dad's Birthday Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsbam69

Hunter
My Dad enjoys guns, but doesn't do a lot of shooting. (It interferes with working all the time) I decided to introduce him to our world for his big 66 this year. I picked up some flattop .44 specials, serial numbers 520-30429 Mine :mrgreen: , 430 my good friend Justin Ransbottom, 431 John Linebaugh, and this one, 432 is my Dad's. (I also have 520-30452, which WAS a standard grip .45 convertible, but began life anew as a stainless gripped round butted Bisley night before last :mrgreen: It's getting a set of fire tiger maple grips) I wanted to do something special on the grips. I went back to my other place where I grew up in NC Kansas, and hauled home a pickup load of 10 year old hedge (osage orange) stumps, and we promptly cut one down the middle only to find it wet to the touch. My good friend came to the rescue. He's got some hedge posts that were in the ground back before Oklahoma gained statehood, and was still Indian Territory before 1907. I really like the way these turned out. They'll get darker, but I like them like they are now. It was a spur of the moment decision to do these, so there was no time to face the frame, mate the main frame to the grip frame, grind them to the frame, and get it reblued, so we just hand fit them the best we could the day before the big 66 :!: Here's a few pics.

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Interesting wood choice. I knew a guy that made flooring out of hedge years ago. I don't know what he he ended up doing with it. He said it was a little hard on the planer knives.

Boomer8484

Bearcat
Nicely done, those look beautiful! Otta make your pops proud!

I think I might have to copy you, my family is originally from Southeast Kansas (Riverton, Baxter Springs area) and I still remember helping my dad cut wood (Hedge wood specifically) for the fire place. Seeing that color brings back distinct memories and my dad has always wanted a larger set of grips for his .41 RemMag Bisley BH.

Love the grips!

gunsbam69

Hunter
Thanks for all the good words guys. Dad is way proud and braggin' just a little heavy, but you only turn 66 once, if you're lucky :D

gunsbam69

Hunter
My friend Rob and I have been working on a few more personal sets. He did some tiger maple and some more hedge on his stainless 5 1/2 Bisley .45. The hedge on his stainless came from a post that looks like it's been on fire a few times in burn offs. They've got a darker, actually smoked look to them. They've also got a slimmer fit to them to go with Rob's smaller hand. I'm going to get pics tomorrow with both sets once he gets his grip frame refinished. I also did a round butted set of tiger maple on my blued 4 5/8 .45 flattop convertible I converted to a stainless gripped Bisley, but the gun is far from finished. I'm going to try and get some pics posted tomorrow of Rob's :D