Cylinder Throats

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
I'm getting ready to have my 45 colt cylinder throats reamed out.
Is there anything that can go wrong having this done?
I haven't had them mic'd, but I've tested all the holes by trying to put bullets in them.(cast&jacketed) none fit.
I did the test with my 44 all so & none fit in that either. But he said he no longer does 44 cylinders because most of them are so close to being the correct size & the reamers don't do a good job taking off such a little amount.
Any opinions are appreciated.

I'm all so thing of changing the forcing cone angle to 11*.
I was going to do this myself. I've watched the videos & looks pretty simple.
The only thing I'm worried about is going to deap, is that possible?

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Yea I shot both of them & they shoot good. But why not make them the best they can be?
Ones a short bbl. BirdsHead Vaquero. It's no tack driver but it serves its purpose.
The other is a Blackhawk Bisley 7.5" that I've only had about 10 days. It shoots good. Only had a chance to shoot a box of reloaded 250gr. Gold Dots through it. So far I'm pleased.
The 44 Super Blackhawk 10.5" loves any 300gr. bullet.
I've done all my own trigger jobs on all 3. They all have Wolffs extra power 30/24 springs. Smooth no creep triggers.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
If it shoots good,leave it alone. That said, I did have my .45 Colt RH reamed and it reduced the group sizes by 1/2 .
I have a brand new 7 1/2" BH Bisley.45 colt that the throats measure in at .451 and they will stay that way because it shoots Sierra .4515 bullets like there is no tomorrow.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
That's what I want to know, if it can cut your groups in half why wouldn't you do it?
By doing it can it hurt anything?

Rclark

Hunter
I have never heard of reaming hurting accuracy. Usually it will shoot better, or the same ... never worse (from my experience and others). Of course you have to fit the bullet to the new throat size. For example, reaming my .45s to .4525 means I shoot at least .452 size bullets . I too had one gun that it cut my group in half at 25Y. Others not as much and some I couldn't tell the difference.

As for the 11 degree reamer. Just don't force it and use plenty of oil. Do a couple of turns, remove tool and check. A couple more check... You don't want to leave a 'step' from the original forcing cone angle. Should go all the way up to the lands. Should all be nice and shiny. It is easy to overdue, so take your time.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
Thanks Rclark I just purchased a used 11* reaming kit & gonna send my cylinders to the cylinder smith. I figure the accuracy can only improve.

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
The process worked fine everything went smooth. As far as accuracy. I really don't know because I haven't shot it on paper yet.
Just 2 days ago I shot at some old pumpkins & some steel plates at about 50yrds with the 44 SB & 45 Bisley & I was consistently hitting the targets. But I was using some jacketed bullets I wanted to shoot up.
Oh & I reamed the cylinders myself, I just rented one for my 2 45 BH's.
The 44 SBH's cylinder was good & didn't need reamed. But I did change to the 11* angle on all 3 of the revolvers.