Cyl Turn Line-how many rounds

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I'm not concerned about cylinder turn lines on my revolvers. I shoot them all and consider the turn lines to just be a part of owning and shooting revolvers.

However, how many trigger pulls does it take on average to develop a cylinder turn line?

I know this is like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsy Roll Pop.

I ask because I am watching an auction on Gunbroker in which the seller claims to have only shot the SP101 20 times. Yet there is an obvious cylinder turn line that seems to be evidence of heavier use. Is this guy trying to pull one over on a buyer or would 20 shots alone cause a line. check out the link below for pictures.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325750523

Tellico

Buckeye
What they said! I have a SA I have not fired yet with a turn line from dry fire to smooth up the trigger while watching TV.
Fred

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
Lots of talk lately about turn lines. Will someone do me a favor and tell me the measurable depth of their revolvers turn line at that point when it became functionally problematic?

I need to know so I can stop turning mine before it happens to me.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
majorKAP said:
Lots of talk lately about turn lines. Will someone do me a favor and tell me the measurable depth of their revolvers turn line at that point when it became functionally problematic?

No functional problem at all but it become an esthetic problem as soon as it shows up, like a dent, a chip or a scratch. :shock: :D

chet15

Hawkeye
There are many Ruger SA's that come right out of the box, new from the factory that have turn lines already on them...so that's just after function testing and testfiring by the factory. Ruger could do a lot better than that.
Chet15

farmall1456

Bearcat
I have a 200 Yr. marked 44 Mag SBH that bought new in 1976. It had a turn line on it from the factory. i know it was from the factory because I was the first person to take it from the carton. The hardware store had orderd it for someone else and they decided not to buy it before theyy eversaw it. It still has the plastic ring in it at the back of the cylinder.

majorKAP

Single-Sixer
majorKAP said:

Actually, the question was of a rhetorical sort, asked with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Just got a new Wiley clapp gp100 and it has a pronounced turn line from the factory. Kinda a bummer cause it has the matte finish and can't be polished up like the regular stainless model.

NorEaster

Blackhawk
rammerjammer said:
However, how many trigger pulls does it take on average to develop a cylinder turn line?
I know this is like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsy Roll Pop.
:lol:
That old commercial was my first thought to the question :lol:

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
Just to confirm for those who didn't actually read my post. I'm not concerned about turn lines, all of my Ruger revolvers have them.

I am only wondering if the seller in the auction is being dishonest about how many rounds he has fired it or dry fired it.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
rammerjammer said:
I am only wondering if the seller in the auction is being dishonest about how many rounds he has fired it or dry fired it.

Dude I have seen turn lines appear the first time a revolver has been "turned" or first time post-factory anyway. There is no way to know by looking at the turn line... and several people have already told you this. But yet you keep coming back and suggesting that people are not reading your post.......

In any event.... I don't think the gun will wear out in your lifetime.

I'd bet that SP101 has been fired more than 20 times. That is a pronounced turn line. From my experiences turn lines are less visible in stainless and they take longer to appear.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Turn lines can vary quite a bit. For example, stainless is rather soft compared to blue steel and the line can show as fast or easier than wearing thru the bluing on blued steel.

However, the biggest variable for either finish is t the cylinder bolt contact surface. Some new guns have bolts with a surface full of file marks that act just that way on the cylinder surface! Some are not as bad, so the turn line is an inaccurate and poor indicator of shots fired or action cycles.

I'm not particularly bothered by turn lines but the very 1st thing I do to any newly acquired revolver is take two minutes to polish the bolt surface. I don't like products that are self destructive like excessively heavy springs that beat parts up.

Latest posts