Custom SA's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBiologist

Buckeye
My Reeder SBH "El Diablo". Gave it to my daughter:

20140602191927538cce3f19aae-zpscf73f5e3 (1).jpg

My custom Vaquero by Tyler. Does good work but took 2 years! Caliber 38-40, grips by Grashorn (Bighorn Ram), matching knife, Indian Penny conchoes (real) and re-constructed EPS rig:

DSC06830 (1).jpg

My woods gun: OM Blackhawk (now with moose antler by Grashorn) and now paired with a Randall Yukon Skinner. Pictured is the Blackhawk with buffalo horn grips and paired with Randall #23. Porcupine ate the original handle of the Randall during a Utah elk hunt. Belt Mountain base pin and Wolff Springs throughout.

OM Blackhawk and Randall.jpg

Randall-YK-zpslqsxrem9.jpg

Wife's Vaqueros for CAS: Elkhon by Grashorn, Wolff Springs, and matching knife by Chuck Stapel ("Knifemaker to the Stars")

Anita's Vaqueros.jpg

Addition: Chuck was a good friend and crossed over a few years back. Vaya con Dios, mi amigo!

Last edited:

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
My Reeder SBH "El Diablo". Gave it to my daughter:

View attachment 23856
My custom Vaquero by Tyler. Does good work but took 2 years! Caliber 38-40, grips by Grashorn (Bighorn Ram), matching knife, Indian Penny conchoes (real) and re-constructed EPS rig:

View attachment 23857

My woods gun: OM Blackhawk (now with moose antler by Grashorn) and now paired with a Randall Yukon Skinner. Pictured is the Blackhawk with buffalo horn grips and paired with Randall #23. Porcupine ate the original handle of the Randall during a Utah elk hunt. Belt Mountain base pin and Wolff Springs throughout.

View attachment 23858

View attachment 23859

Wife's Vaqueros for CAS: Elkhon by Grashorn, Wolff Springs, and matching knife by Chuck Stapel ("Knifemaker to the Stars")

View attachment 23860

Addition: Chuck was a good friend and crossed over a few years back. Vaya con Dios, mi amigo!
Bear would you mind posting some more photos of the Tyler Vaquero. I've been waiting some time now on three guns he is working on for me. It seems the single action custom Smiths are fading from the seen and the ones left are in a back-log into a year plus, instead of several months.

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Bear would you mind posting some more photos of the Tyler Vaquero. I've been waiting some time now on three guns he is working on for me. It seems the single action custom Smiths are fading from the seen and the ones left are in a back-log into a year plus, instead of several months.
Glad to. I'll break them up into two posts. He also did the matching 1892 Winchester with new case hardening and engraving. On both pieces, the (outside) engraver that he hired departed from my desires.

First the back-story (First time I've related this): I first contacted Bobby to re-finish two Colt SAAs I used for CAS. I had (stupidly) let them get some rust spots. He did a great job on casehardening and re-bluing them. Took a while more than he expected but, hey, that's OK. Gunsmiths get busy!

I then developed the idea of putting together a Vaquero or Colt SAA to pay homage to my maternal grandmother who was 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Native American (1/4 Cherokee ad 1/4 Chickasaw). I decided to do a revolver based on an OM Vaquero, in 38-40 (partly because I already had an 1892 in that caliber and partly for an "authentic" caliber). I had previously loaded 44-40 for CAS and knew how thin the necks were. I bought a .45 Colt, and a Colt SAA barrel on E-bay (after checking the threads would match up) and shipped them off to Bobby. I ordered a set of grips off of Patrick Grashorn in ramshorn, because I knew he would get the fitting right. I THINK I sent the 1892 at the same time. Regardless, the 1892 was a good job for the most part. It took forever on the Vaquero. I kept getting conflicting excuses (The cylinder didn't come in, it won't fit, it doesn't time, I'll ship next week. Delayed, I'll ship in 2 weeks, etc.) I kept after him every week or so and likely seemed like a pest. Messages were not returned. Frustration grew on BOTH sides. I finally had to threaten him with legal action and got my pistol a week or so later. I approached him about refinishing some more guns and he, basically, blackballed me.

Upshot: His work was good to great, but customer skills need improvement. Rant off! 🌧️🌧️🌧️

Now for the pics:

DSC06823 (1).jpg

DSC06824.jpg

DSC06825 (1).jpg

DSC06826 (1).jpg

DSC06827.jpg

BearBiologist

Buckeye
Part II, as promised:

DSC06828.jpg

DSC06829.jpg

DSC06831 (2).jpg

DSC06832.jpg
DSC06833 (1).jpg

BTW: While I was waiting, I ordered a John Wayne moneybelt from El Paso Saddlery, deconstructed it and a Tom Threepersons holster, dyed it Cordovan, restitched using animal sinew, and added conchos, as well as making a sheath for a ramshorn Coffin Bowie.

Thanks for the interest! I'm sure Bobby will do good work for you!

JPGLSG1234

Blackhawk
Glad to. I'll break them up into two posts. He also did the matching 1892 Winchester with new case hardening and engraving. On both pieces, the (outside) engraver that he hired departed from my desires.

First the back-story (First time I've related this): I first contacted Bobby to re-finish two Colt SAAs I used for CAS. I had (stupidly) let them get some rust spots. He did a great job on casehardening and re-bluing them. Took a while more than he expected but, hey, that's OK. Gunsmiths get busy!

I then developed the idea of putting together a Vaquero or Colt SAA to pay homage to my maternal grandmother who was 1/2 Irish and 1/2 Native American (1/4 Cherokee ad 1/4 Chickasaw). I decided to do a revolver based on an OM Vaquero, in 38-40 (partly because I already had an 1892 in that caliber and partly for an "authentic" caliber). I had previously loaded 44-40 for CAS and knew how thin the necks were. I bought a .45 Colt, and a Colt SAA barrel on E-bay (after checking the threads would match up) and shipped them off to Bobby. I ordered a set of grips off of Patrick Grashorn in ramshorn, because I knew he would get the fitting right. I THINK I sent the 1892 at the same time. Regardless, the 1892 was a good job for the most part. It took forever on the Vaquero. I kept getting conflicting excuses (The cylinder didn't come in, it won't fit, it doesn't time, I'll ship next week. Delayed, I'll ship in 2 weeks, etc.) I kept after him every week or so and likely seemed like a pest. Messages were not returned. Frustration grew on BOTH sides. I finally had to threaten him with legal action and got my pistol a week or so later. I approached him about refinishing some more guns and he, basically, blackballed me.

Upshot: His work was good to great, but customer skills need improvement. Rant off! 🌧️🌧️🌧️

Now for the pics:

View attachment 23958

View attachment 23959

View attachment 23960

View attachment 23961

View attachment 23962
Thank you, PM sent