Custom Fitting a Grip Insert into a Ruger Security Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JonVan

Bearcat
I was wondering if there is any reason I cannot get a Hogue Grip for my Security Six 155-xxxxx and cut out a slot for a GP-100 grip insert. Do the holes line up well enough or is it not possible with the frame differences?

Attachments

• RG-CP05-SSK.png
    RG-CP05-SSK.png
    795 KB · Views: 52
  • 663858533.800x800.jpg
    663858533.800x800.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 48

hittman

Staff member
It ain't nothing time and money can't fix! 😉

Buy yourself a couple sets and get started. Let us know the progress. We love pictures here.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!

Ok, if I understand you correctly, you have a Security-Six & want a set of grips that look like a GP-100 with the insert. Correct?

I'll insert a few things. First off the grip frame design of the SS & the GP are entirely different. You can't get a set of GP grips & have them fit to a SS. At least not without a lot of time & money to split a GP grip, and inlet the grip to fit the Security-Six. Plus the contour of the frame is different. Even after that, they may not fit.

But you've asked about a Hogue grip, and I'm assuming you are using the r/h picture of the finger groove Hogues as an example.

If you get a set of inserts, from a GP-100, and overlay them onto the Hogues, you could trace the outline and if careful & have access to a way to inlet the rubber or plastic material of the Hogues,, it's "possible." The machine & the type of cutter would be my area of "wonder if it'll work" thought process. A mill could be used to cut the inlet area,, but the cutter type & speed would be something to study. The composite/rubber materials used in the GP & the Hogues, is a molded material,, not cut out.
Another thought comes to mind,, is the Hogues,, if I'm not mistaken have a bit of a palm swell that may affect the final contour.

In short,, as mentioned "anything's possible" with enough money & time & effort. But in my opinion, I don't think it'd be worth the effort.

JonVan

Bearcat
Hogue literally makes grips for a security six, but you say I could not cut out some of the rubber and put the wood outside plates on because it's a different contour? I don't believe they're structural just aesthetic.

NikA

Buckeye
Hogue literally makes grips for a security six, but you say I could not cut out some of the rubber and put the wood outside plates on because it's a different contour? I don't believe they're structural just aesthetic.
Two thoughts come to mind:
1) Will the grip, having been inletted for the wood panels, maintain their structural integrity and aesthetic appearance? My guess, based on dealing with similar Hogue grips, is that they are rubber bonded to hard plastic, which will not be conducive to a positive outcome on either count.
2) How are the Hogue grips secured to the gun? Many use a stirrup from the bottom, which is different from the GP grips and may be comprised by/interfere with your proposed inletting.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Unfortunately I called the manufacturer of the wood panels and they said it isn't possible.
There were gp 100 grips that were split on the early gp 100s. They come up cheap on ebay occasionally. Lying your frame on them and seeing if they would totally enclose your frame if you hogged out the inside might be an idea.

Latest posts