Cumberland Plateau-Land of Falling Water

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
A few more waterfalls located here in Mid Tennessee.

Great Falls of the Caney Fork
DSC_1496_zpsd5474c39.jpg

Twin Falls on the Caney. (comes out of caves)
DSC_1500_zpsfce172bc.jpg

Upper Burgess Falls (Falling Water River)
[
DSC_0836_zpsca393a37.jpg

Middle Burgess Falls
[
DSC_0841_zpse456c1e9.jpg

Lower Burgess Falls
[
DSC_0847_zpsd34e6563.jpg

Fall Creek Falls (Tallest falls in the eastern United States)
DSC_2000_zpsb7322ee1.jpg

DSC_1915_zpse63d3573.jpg

A series of cascades on the Duck RIver - collectively known as Big Falls.

DSC_2071_zpsb78db62a.jpg

DSC_2064_zps4622951d.jpg

DSC_2060_zps2ebb4d00.jpg

Little Duck River - Same hike - near convergence with Duck River.

DSC_2039_zps842c01e0.jpg

DSC_2051_zps4d3d366d.jpg

Savage Creek Falls - in Savage Gulf.

DSCN0396_zpse35a1d0c.jpg

Old Still site on Savage Creek - probably one of Number 9s relatives. :D

DSCN0387_zps843de5bc.jpg

Savage Falls

DSCN0390_zps796ecabd.jpg

Blue Hole on the Caney Fork

DSC_1466_zps4da9fce5.jpg
[/URL]

That's all for now.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Beautiful.

You really need to get a fly rod, some #6 or #8 yellow poppers or some orange and black streamers and catch some of the smallmouth bass I'm sure are lurking just below the surface of those beautiful streams.

Jeff

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Mike Armstrong said:
Now THAT is some beautiful country! And I bet there are some brown trout and smallmouths hidin' in there someplace, too!
It is beautiful country.

In the part of the state where these were taken, I'd assume smallmouth, pumpkinseeds, green sunfish, maybe some white bass and crappie.

With winter setting in, it's almost more than I can stand looking at these pictures knowing it's going to be almost 6 months before I dust off my fly rods again.

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
jeffnles1 said:
Mike Armstrong said:
Now THAT is some beautiful country! And I bet there are some brown trout and smallmouths hidin' in there someplace, too!
It is beautiful country.

In the part of the state where these were taken, I'd assume smallmouth, pumpkinseeds, green sunfish, maybe some white bass and crappie.

With winter setting in, it's almost more than I can stand looking at these pictures knowing it's going to be almost 6 months before I dust off my fly rods again.

Hey Jeff -The waters of the Cumberland are some of the finest and most varied fishing in North America. (a big reason I moved here to retire) The area produced both the world record smallmouth AND the world record walleye, and fishing for both is still really good today. In addition many of these streams support native run Musky, HUGE record class striped bass, and with so many tailwater fisheries, the trout fishing is outstanding as well.

DSC_1495_zps310d1c53.jpg

Here is a website for an outfitter here, TN Moving Waters - that covers these streams. Tons of pics of trophy smallies, musky's, stripers, brown, rainbows, etc..

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tn-Moving-Waters-Guide-Service/623529114339721

I really need to start fishing these streams more, but have only been a few times. Mainly thats because I live near Percy Priest lake, so whenever I get the urge to go fishing I usually am in my boat chasing crappie and bass. Stream fishing is on the list for early next spring though.

DSCN0310_zps7e773079.jpg

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Nice looking boat and lake. With those streams so close, you need go get out there more.

I'm not a huge fan of tailwater trout fishing. I do it some at Cumberland and below Brookville Dam in Indiana. My true love is fishing for bass (smallmouth, largemouth, Kentucky) and sunfish (pumpkin seed, red eye, green sunfish, bluegill, long ear, etc) in the streams. A few decent streams here in northern Kentucky / South East Indiana all within an hour drive. One of my favorites (Gunpowder creek) is about 15 minutes from here and is full of smallmouth and sunfish (on the small side as it is a very small stream).

A fly rod, a box full of poppers and woolly buggers and a warm spring/summer day are all that's needed to make everything right in the universe.

checked out the guide's facebook page, some very nice fish! some really nice striped bass and a few of those smallmouth were very nice.