Correct grips for S47 SBH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TennVol

Bearcat
I acquired a SBH (S47) S/N 80-108XX, this weekend. The S/N history on the Ruger site indicates it was manufactured in 1969. The grips have the silver squashed chickens instead of the black eagles I thought they should have had in 1969. The owner told me he never replaced the grips, but he also said he was the 2'nd owner. I have read the grips were changed in mid 1971 from the black eagles to the squashed chicken. I put in a request to the factory to get the S/N history letter so I will soon know for sure when the gun actually shipped.

I want to get a set of the black eagles if that is what the gun shipped with from the factory. If it managed to slip out of the factory with the squashed chickens, I'll just keep it that way.

Anyone have any ideas on what grips it may have had when it shipped?

OM-2-1.jpg

OM-1.jpg

bigbore45colt

Hunter
TennVol,

Those appear to be NM escutcheon with the silver escutcheons. It depends on when your gun was shipped, but, in all likelihood, it shipped with black eagle medallions.

Just my $0.02

BB45C

yessir, BigBore got it spot on, those are 'replacement' grips, (later vintage) not even "squashed chickens" (those too have the blued hardware,screw & escutcheons)...............
looked through our stuff and no S-47 black eagles here...sorry

flatgate

Hawkeye
If you get in a bind, current production Flattop Blackhawks seem to be wearing the medallions you need. At least close enough until you find some "vintage" examples or the proper grips.

168996396.jpg

flatgate

bigbore45colt

Hunter
TennVol,

I have a spare set of black eagly OM SBH grips. They don't appear to have ever been on a gun. They have a few very minor light handling marks but, other than that, they are really nice.

396322448.jpg

396322449.jpg

Email me off-line if you are interested in them and we can discuss further.

BB45C