Confused New Reloader

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbass

Single-Sixer
Ok. So I have read Speer and Hornady's book on reloading and still have one question that I can't figure out. I am wanting to reload plinking rounds for the 9mm. (before i get jumped on for it, i inherited the equipment and some components for it and thought it would be a good round to start off with.) Back to my question. I am thinking about ordering some "plinking" bullets for it from Missouri Bullet Company. They are 115 gr RN, BHN of 18, with (here is the part thats throwing me) a diameter of .356. Typically 9mm is .355 if Im not mistaken. Will the .001 make a difference? Will this be load as usual or do I need to do something else?

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Lead bullets are softer than jacketed and it is not uncommon for them to slightly larger. They will work just fine. Just don't use loading data for jacketed bullets with lead. If you are looking for a plinking bullet check out Ranier. They offer a copper plated lead bullet. Cheaper than jacketed not much more than lead. I have found them very accurate and no worries about leading your barrel and the chore of cleaning the lead out.

http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm

alank2

Bearcat
I agree; I'd go with jacketed or copper plated for your first loading in 9mm. If you want a turret style press (4 pulls = 1 round) look at the Lee Classic Turret, but if you want a progressive look at the Dillon 550. Many people will tell you to learn on a single stage and that isn't bad advice, but there is no reason why you can't learn on a turret or progressive instead and have the equipment you will want. Loading 9mm on a single stage will get old quick, at least it would for me!

Good luck,

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.