Concealed Carry Class

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevemb

Hunter
I always thought it funny that at a CHL , most I've taken, "shot thru" or helped give, someone will tell the class a shotgun is the best home defense gun. Nobody speaks up and asks about a shotgun course. Not many are really gonna train enough to be proficient with that snubby that also gets recommended so often. Many "game" the range portion and bring service size weapons, not CC size. Kinda like taking your motorcycle test on that 250 on/off instead of the 750 twin in the driveway. stevemb

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Maybe some of those people actually plan on carrying those service size weapons. When I use to cc I carried a Tuarus full size .357 with 4inch barrel. It really wasnt that hard or uncomfortable to conceal back then( I say back then as I've put on a few more pound since then I dont know how it would work now.). I mean I know of alot of folks that cc a full size 1911.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
I wonder how many CCL classes have been taken using a Single Six. I bet it's a bunch. It is funny what some people bring. My buddy qualified with a Mark II Ruger standard. He's never carried it though.

killowatt59

Bearcat
I'm taking my first CCW class this weekend. I'll be taking my 6" GP100 instead of my spurless sp101 snubbie.

The reason I'm doing it is I haven't shot the SP101 enough to get decent at it yet. I am pretty good with my GP100, but I have a lot of range time on it.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
I can't imagine anyone in Texas wanting to do their range qual with a revolver, much less an instructor encouraging it.

Mdub

Bearcat
recently took a class in Texas. qualifying with a revolver was highly discouraged by our teacher since you would be limited to only a revolver on your licence, where as the semi-auto endorsement allows for both.

You must also qualify with a .32 caliber or larger.

ediogenes

Bearcat
Yeah, they insist we qualify with a 'real' gun caliber, or something close to it. But we can carry any caliber after we get our 'plastic'. And as many guns as we can conceal. And crossed bandoliers - we have to conceal only the gun, not the ammo.

I took my 13-year-old son to the practice CHL range and had him shoot the course of fire with my dad's old .22LR JC Higgins Model 80 (High Standard Duramatic). He would have qualified. Easily. I cannot imagine anyone failing, but I guess it's happened.

I carry my 9mm Ruger Speed-Six often, but I re-qualified last year with my 9mm Beretta 9000S, just so I could carry either; or both.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
OysterMan said:
ediogenes said:
...I re-qualified last year with my 9mm Beretta 9000S, just so I could carry either; or both.
How often do you have to re-qualify in Texas? I just renewed my FL CWL and its good for 7 years.

every five years... but I think we just went to 10 years for the fourth renewal

MnBulldog

Single-Sixer
Mdub said:
recently took a class in Texas. qualifying with a revolver was highly discouraged by our teacher since you would be limited to only a revolver on your licence, where as the semi-auto endorsement allows for both.

You must also qualify with a .32 caliber or larger.

Sounds like we get off easy in Minnesota by comparison. No difference in license for revolver or pistol and no "minimum" caliber to qualify. License good for five years.

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
So you actually have to requalify each time you renew your license? I'm interested to see what they will end up doing here in Illinois. Suppose to have something by June.I seen the supposedly proposed law a couple weeks ago but hadnt heard anything else about it lately.

Mdub

Bearcat
Yes In Texas renewals have to requalify on the range for sure. The re-certification folks got to leave the class at lunch time, they aren't required to take the full 10 hrs.

The renewals did participate in the nonviolent conflict resolution portion of the class. I do not know if they had to take a written exam. If any of you are experienced please correct me if i'm wrong, i haven't had to renew yet.

Additionally, they are trying to pass a law here in Texas to reduce the classroom hours from 10 to 4.