COMPLETED SET of UN-CATALOGED NR4-F's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Gentlemen,
With the help of forum members I have finally completed my set of un-cataloged NR4-F New Model Single-Six revolvers, and I must say that this has to be one of the toughest sets of NM Single-Six's out there to put together
and probably would have not been made at all if not for a mistake in Ruger's 1994 catalog. In 1994 Ruger came out with the NR5-F & NR6-F NM Single-Six fix sight revolvers, but both pictures in the catalog were pictures of a 4 5/8" NR4-F not an NR5-F gun. This led to Ruger making a short run to appease public demand, other wise the only NR4-F we would have seen would have been the 50Th Anni. model in my opinion. Note} Serial # started at 268-00501, Ruger did not use the first 500 numbers in production.

For those not familiar with this model I highly recommend that you read RENE editor Chad Hiddleson's excellent article, "Vaquero Style Single-Six's, .22 Cal." Chad covers these in great detail!

There are 4 variations with 2 sub-variations, 1st variation made in 1995, 200 produced, Very Rare! - 2nd variation made in 2004, about 300 produced, Rare! - 3rd variation "transition pre-lock model" made 2007, 50 or less produced, Extremely Rare! - 4th variation, NR4-FL was Ruger's New Internal Lock model, made in 2007 also, 300 produced, Rare!

Note:- All 4 variations above had the "Southport WRM" on the barrel. There were 2 sub-variations of 100 or less each of the NR4-FL, produced in 2009 with "Newport WRM" replacing the "Southport WRM". The 1st sub-variation has the words "RUGER NEWPORT NH USA" in larger sized font than the rest of the roll mark. The 2nd sub-variation also made later in 2009 has "Ruger Newport NH USA" in the same size font as the rest of the WRM.

1000 to 1050 NR4-F & NR4-FL revolvers produced over about a 15 year span, with 4 different variations and 2 sub variations, made this a very interesting hunt! :wink:

The picture that started it all,

All Six getting a little sun, :wink:

Bottom Left - 1st variation Serial #268-03410, [1995], WRM on side of barrel, "RUGER SINGLE-SIX .22 Cal." roll mark on left side of cylinder frame, wood grips, Hi-Polish finish.
Bottom right 2nd variation Serial #268-47210, [2004], WRM on side of barrel, "RUGER .22Cal. NEW MODEL SINGLE-SIX" roll mark on left side of cylinder frame, blue NOT! Hi-Polish finish, wood grips.

Top pair are both "Transition" Type 3 variation, Serial #268-51219 & #268-51224, [2007], barrel WRM moved to the bottom, same cylinder roll mark as 2nd var. wood grips No Lock.

Bottom pair of consecutive NR4-FL 4th variation guns, Serial #268-51773 & #268-51774, [2007], barrel WRM on bottom, Ruger' new "Internal Lock" model, Black Plastic Checkered" grip panels. Top left is NR4-FL Sub-variation #1, Serial #268-54487 [2009] "RUGER NEWPORT NH USA" in large font. Top right, NR4-FL Sub-Variation #2, Serial #268-55055, [2009] "Ruger Newport NH USA in same size font as rest of WRM.

Variations 1,2 & 3, left side,

Var. 1 & 2,

Var. 3 & 4,

contender

Ruger Guru
Terry,,, that is a great collection of a specific type of NM Rugers. Hard to find and even harder to find NIB. That would make a great display!

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Thanks guy's,

Nh Rugerman said:
Well done, Terry...appreciate your taking the time to document the variations for us and then illustrating with great pics!

What's next? :D

Now I am trying to finish up my collection of all the Cataloged Vaquero styled Single-Six .22 Cal. fix sighted revolvers all NIB, as well as trying to keep up with the New Model Flat Top's.
So I'm still hunting.. :wink:
Terry

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Nice job Terry! That is quite an accomplishment, and a great educational presentation.

I recall having a spare of the 1995 issue but do not recall who I sold it to - would that be you? It was one of the 39 late-shipped guns that went to Lipsey's in 2002. I have the SN noted as 268-18627 but no note as to who bought it (sold in 2004). As I recall, I was having a hard time impressing on folks how rare it was.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
weaselmeatgravy said:
Nice job Terry! That is quite an accomplishment, and a great educational presentation.

I recall having a spare of the 1995 issue but do not recall who I sold it to - would that be you? It was one of the 39 late-shipped guns that went to Lipsey's in 2002. I have the SN noted as 268-18627 but no note as to who bought it (sold in 2004). As I recall, I was having a hard time impressing on folks how rare it was.

Bob,
No that was not me.
My first variation I got from Hondo44 here on the forum, I knew he had it but it was not for sale. Through PM's I found out that he was looking hard for a BNV-224-SI to go along with his .32 Cal "Mini-Vaquero" I just happened to have a spare one so we made a trade + boot and shipping on my part and I was tickled to death with the deal.

As to how Rare they are I have only seen 4 1st variations ever offered for sale, two of them this year, and those sold on GB for $760.00 and change and one for over 1K, both guns had serious NM collectors chasing them. I have not seen a NR4-F or NR4-FL sell for less than $600.00 in the past year.
Terry

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Yeah, I had apparently ordered two of the 39 late-shipped ones from my old dealer back in August of 2002, then for some reason decided to part with the one with the slightly lower SN in January 2004. My notes indicate that I was into them for the retail price of $287.95 each, including tax. I still have the other one and have it valued at $700. Maybe I should bump that up a little.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Very nice Terry,never did see one helping you hunt.
I still look for the NM flat tops also.

Daniel

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Thanks Daniel, I appreciate you keeping an eye out for those two NM/FT's.

Jack, I don't think any of these were yours , but I could be wrong, :wink:

Terry