Coin sniping with the .17 HMR

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
CoinSniper015.jpg

CoinSniper011.jpg

The pictures say it all. I didn't "get" the .17 HMR at first, but when Henry came out with their Goldenboy lever action rifle in the dimunitive caliber, I had to have one. I was curious about the rimfire cartridge and I was also curious about the Henry rifle. I already have a Marlin 39M .22 lever action so I couldn't rationalize buying a Henry just to see how it shot. But that all changed when the .17 came out.

CoinSniper003.jpg

My daughter and I shot coins taped to the center of some bullseye targets at 25 yards. We made all these hits with the Henry's iron sights too. The rifle is very accurate. I had scoped it and shot sub 1" groups at 100 yards, but I hated the way the scope looked on the classic lines of the levergun.

CoinSniper005.jpg

CoinSniper001.jpg

The little .17 bullets punch right through a coin like a hot knife through butter or like a ballistic missle through an aluminum can!

CoinSniper012.jpg

There is also no recoil at all. That really makes it fun!

CoinSniper011.jpg

Can you tell by the pics that we had a blast at the range?

CoinSniper007.jpg

-Steve

contender

Ruger Guru
Great pics!
yep,, those 17's are fun,, and accurate. I have a Ruger M77/17 that is a regular rider in my work truck,, and several critters have fallen to it.
I recently won then sold a nice Savage 17 as I didn't need another one. The new owner is very happy with his too.
Those coins,, shot cleanly through make some neat mementos.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Well, I'll probably regret this, but here I go (with my flame-resistant outerwear in place).
I have never understood the allure of shooting at money or prefectly good food. I guess I am just too old and was brought up in a time and family where there was not a lot of extra money around, and where waste was not tolerated. I also don't get why people have to shoot at recylclable containers or those that have a deposit on them. I hear how bad the economy is and how everyone is hurting, but if folks can afford to destroy money, food, etc., I have trouble believing that any level of society is really hurting much. I also don't think this sort of thing (money, food, human effigy targets) helps the cause of gunowners at all among the great unwashed masses.

On a closing positive note, it is good to see that young girl enjoying shooting, and hopefully her interest can be maintained throughout her life by positive reinforcement and good role models.

Kanook

Buckeye
You can prove when you shot thru a coin easier then when you shot thru a washer.

I dought highly that those coins are going to be thrown away. When I was 4 years old I shot my first rifle. The gentleman that owned the rifle was a good friend of my parents. He gave me my first silver dollar that day to see if I could shoot it. I still have the coin with the slug in it. Had I not shot it, it would have been gone a long time ago.

americal

Hunter
NICE photos :!: like the nice shooting--love that NAIL---polish--BLUE ? like that shooting rest --neat is it home made? WHATA daughter know ya'll have a lot of fun :D

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Henry rifle: $475
Box of .17 HMR cartridges: $13
Range fees for the day: $10
Coin targets: $1

The most ridiculous comment I've ever heard, complaining about having fun and creating keepsakes and angering the anti-gunners: PRICELESS

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
mm6mm6":153fh4hk said:
Henry rifle: $475
Box of .17 HMR cartridges: $13
Range fees for the day: $10
Coin targets: $1

The most ridiculous comment I've ever heard, complaining about having fun and creating keepsakes and angering the anti-gunners: PRICELESS
PRICELESS! See how good having fun with your daughter can make you feel? Even comments like that can roll off. Excellent! It's working.

I personally like plinking large caliber rifle shells off the target backstop with my .22. I have a steel .308 case with a direct hit through the center sitting on my office desk. It's an interesting conversation piece...

-- Sam

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Whoo, bar the doors, it seems a minor issue by were you aware that defacing US Currency, paper and coins is a federal offense? :roll:

http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode ... -000-.html

Used to be $2000 or 5 years, but now the $2000 is at the desecration of the court, which could be more!! OUCH!! Makes paper targets or old shotgun cases a whole lot "funner" and affordable. :shock:

Not that I think it is a big deal, hey its $.41, it does kinda make you think, especially when there are endless comparative targets!!

Oh well, your call, enjoy your shooting! I'll go back to sleep now.....zzzzz

reakin

Single-Sixer
Or those pennies at different tourist attractions that you run through the die as a souvenier.

reakin

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Sorry I missed the immediate preceeding post. Did not mean to repeat your point below about the pressed coins.

Well, me too, but it is interesting what the Government cares about. The Government can and does make the coin worth less, but make the crime more??? What is that about???

I also have several old old penny pressed coins commemorating an event, you know the ones, you put your penny in a press, rotate the crank, and you get a oval penny stamped with some picture or what not.

I suspect there are very very few coin cops around.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Ah Ha, you picked that up. Desecration, the word actually is discretion, but I though desecration was more fitting! It fits.

j.r. ruger guy

Bearcat
great pics and some fine shooting . that is time well spent with your daughter . my daughters and i would shoot on sundays out behind the house , now that there grown - they are busy doing other things . but we all share the happiness of that time we spent .
it almost sounds as if there are some that are jealous that both you and your daughter can shoot (desecrate) coins with an open- site lever gun. :shock:
glad you shared with us and keep her shootin :wink:

Cholo

Staff member
"I suspect there are very very few coin cops around." 208packinheat

You've gotta be kidding me man, they're walking among us everyday! Have you never heard or Roswell, NM? That's right; straight from outer space and for decades cloned to be used by government agents for all sorts of clandestine activities. They fit right in, but to a keen eye there are ways to tell them apart; their RF posts!

Yes, there's even some infiltrators on this Forum :shock: They vote Democratic and their leaders back home invented teleprompters for their future politicians. Cut the power and those leaders are as confused as a blind man at a nudest colony weenie roast!

I really didn't put all those coins on the RR tracks as a kid, I promise!

:wink:

mm6mm6

Blackhawk
Geez, my daughter and about 25 million other kids who've been to Walt Disney World (and other theme parks and attractions) are in big trouble!

Pressed001.jpg

LOOK! Those are two pressed quarters! That's 50 cents in this horrible economy! That's almost 100 aluminum cans! My gosh man! Stop the madness!