Cock-A-Doodle-DA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
I haven't done any crowing for a while, so thought I'd share one of my fairly recent treasures. A big yawn from the SA purists to be sure, but for the elite :lol: half dozen collectors who appreciate the -Six series DA guns, here is a rooster's tooth.

Ruger made five of these. This one is only the second one known in captivity, and consecutive to the one other known gun. Model GF-35 stainless Police Service Six in .357 Mag with 5" barrel. Standard barrel lengths for the Police Service Six were 2.75" and 4" with a few late-production 3" guns. The adjustable sight Security Six was offered in 6" but no 5" barrel -Six DA revolvers were ever cataloged. Similar to the more plentiful but still rare SDA-85 blue gun in .38 Special, these stainless .357's were made in this tiny prototype run for export to and evaluation by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP), who apparently did not follow through with a contract.

Cleverly boxed and shipped in GF-34 disguise, Ruger did not feel the need to make special packaging for such a limited run of guns.

This is one of the DA collector's Holy Grail guns that I never thought I'd get the chance to own. I'm a happy camper :D

GF35-157-21051-1.jpg

GF35-157-21051-2.jpg

GF35-157-21051-3.jpg

GF35-157-21051-4.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Way to go WMG!!!!!!!!! And,, many of us SA fans will not yawn at this. In fact,, you might be surprised at how many of us are jealous,,,! Thanks for sharing & it's good to know it's got a good home.

d findley

Single-Sixer
Congratulations on a rare find. If we (Ruger Collectors) had a credible book to refer to on the subject of DA Rugers; we might hone in on some of these overlooked revolvers. A reference to not only the regular production guns but limited runs, military issues, ect.

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey Bob, be happy that most don't understand or chase these....makes the hunt less hectic....everyone knows a GREEN WREATH boxed LW is RARE but a 5" stainless Six series looks like all the other stainless Six series to the uninformed.... especially when hidden in the wrong box with the simple hand written notation RARE.... I know I would have walked right by.......YES Bob needs to get his BOOK DONE....heck I would be happy to buy one....more reading material in my "LIBRARY" would make Mrs Radical ecstatic :lol: :lol: :lol: CONGRATS on a great find....RR.

Terry T

Buckeye
Well, I wondered who got that - I chased it as far as I could. :oops:
Glad it was you, if it couldn't be me. :D
At least it's in the "Forum Family".
Terry T

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Thanks for all the nice comments, you guys are real "enablers".

Don/Rod - My DA book stalled out after about 50 pages and I had only made it through the early low-back guns. Was steeling myself to start on the later high-back guns that made up 90+% of production when I learned more about the low-back ones and just never got back into the re-write (I suppose that would have ultimately made a great excuse for a 2nd edition, but...).

Dick - I had the opportunity to buy a pair of GA-34's that were custom built for Skeeter complete with dual holster rig a few years back but the asking price was $5K. Don't know what ever became of those, the seller was suffering from terminal cancer (in 2007) and his days were numbered, trying to liquidate stuff to save his wife from having to bother. I know Elmer was a big fan of 5" barrels, but I don't know that he ever cared for the DA Rugers. If he got hold of this one, he would have had it converted to a 5-shot .44 Special :)

Terry - thanks for stopping when you did - I was prepared to go considerably higher but am glad I didn't have to. I did reckon someone else knew what was what considering how high the lot went. I had had my eye on it for nearly 2 months filled with restless nights :oops:

Terry T

Buckeye
Bob, I knew from the first time I saw it that my ONLY hope was that, somehow, you didn't know about it! :shock:
Pleeeese let me know when you tire of it. :D
Terry T

hittman

Staff member
Wow. Outstanding. Glad to see it's in the forum family.

Very, very nice indeed.

lovemydals

Buckeye
weaselmeatgravy said:
Ruger made five of these. This one is only the second one known in captivity, and consecutive to the one other known gun. Model GF-35 stainless Security Six in .357 Mag with 5" barrel.

wmg,

Am I reading your post wrong or is there a mistake? Should it read, "Model GF-35 stainless Police Service Six" instead of "Model GF-35 stainless Security Six"? Either way, really nice find indeed!

lmd.