Chronograph?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
mr surveyor said:
There are several free "spreadsheet" programs available to do all sorts of number crunching with input of basic data. Even the simplest allow input of bullet weight and individual velocities which gives in addition to HI, LO, ES, and SD, also ME and PF.

Hi,

And in a worst case scenario, chances are if you're reading this forum on a computer, there's a spreadsheet program already in it! Most likely it's Excel from Microsoft, or the spreadsheet in the Open Office Suite from Apache (which does pretty much everything Excel does that most of us need, plus some others, like read all kinds of stuff Excel sometimes does and sometimes doesnt, and it's FREE!) Anyway, there's a "function" tool in both which allows one to set up a spreadsheet to automatically calculate all the "regular" results (Hi, Lo, Avg, ES, Sd) the chronos can do, plus you'll have to enter your own formula for ME and PF, but once you've written it, you can copy it forever.

If setting up a spreadsheet to do these things is baffling, you may know a computer nerd who can help you, or PM me and I'll see if there's some kind of a template in my collection of stuff I can share... (if you get a message my mailbox is full, please try again in a day or so!)

Rick C

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
Rick ... yep, the "template" was what I referring to as being free. Generally Excell spreadsheet driven.

jd

WESHOOT2

Hunter
I use a PACT One.
It (also) calculates ES and SD.
I gain load confidence by shooting and recording hundreds of rds, because statistics can be misleading......

5of7

Hunter
WESHOOT2 said:
I use a PACT One.
It (also) calculates ES and SD.
I gain load confidence by shooting and recording hundreds of rds, because statistics can be misleading......

I've used the pact model 1 for about 20 years. Record all the data on my computer along with accuracy data.

The Chronograph will let you know when you are reaching the ballistic parameters of a given cartridge and is invaluable when using a powder that you cannot find published data for, or in certain cases seating a bullet to a shorter than published OAL.

These things,(loading outside the manual) should not be done by the neophyte, but should be left to handloaders who have considerable experience in the craft. 8)

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
57K said:
Thanks, Rick, I write with Open Office as well as MS Word and I didn't know that Open Office had that capability.
BTW, doesn't your Oehler 33 provide ES and SD stats? :wink:

Hi,

57K, doing the work in Open Office is pretty much like Excel, with slight differences in the syntax. It doesn't take anywhere near as long to do as it does to describe, but I'll try to point you there:

In an open spreadsheet, click on "Insert" on the toolbar at the top, then click "Function"
A "function wizard" should open up. Click on the "functions" tab at the top
You'll be presented with a "category" choice: you want "statistical"
A list of functions will pop up, and you can add the ones you like.

I find it's easier to just write the formula than plug things into the little pop up for the few functions I use frequently, but that's just personal choice. And I have to remember to write them correctly for Open Office or Excel depending on which one I'm using. For example, if I want the average of the numbers in the cells from A10 to A20, Excel would want to see "=avg(A10:A20)" while Open Office would want "=average(A10:A20)" but that stuff's easy enough to get used to.

As for the Oehler 33, the answer's yes: it gives five calculations: Hi, Lo, ES, Avg and Sd. But it's early '80s technology, so it doesn't store them or talk to a printer or computer, meaning each shot has to be recorded somewhere (on paper or electronically?) before it's overriden by the next one, and the calculations must be recorded before clearing the machine for the next string.

Rick C

I too have a pro chrony, have you ever wondered how accurate it is? Ever compare numbers with your buddies chrono ?

6mm Remington

Single-Sixer
Dust in the wind said:
I too have a pro chrony, have you ever wondered how accurate it is? Ever compare numbers with your buddies chrono ?
You know I really haven't. I did shoot some arrows through another chronograph at a range I went to and then later shot through mine and it was right in line with the other one, but those are pretty low speeds with the arrows. My recurve is shooting right at about 180 fps. I did find it interesting that I was able to chronograph a BB / Air Rifle through it! Those suckers are little.