Charter Arms Bulldog

Help Support Ruger Forum:

writwing

Single-Sixer
Well it looks like Ruger wont be making a 44 Spl DA this year!

I have been thinking about the Bulldog for a CC gun. The couple that I have held had excellent triggers but were rough around the edges. The good think is the factory is just half hour away.

So I put it to RRF members: A new Charter Arms Bulldog Yes or No.

Rclark

Hunter
I like mine (bought in 2010) for CC. It sits in a Simply Rugged holster. Shoot it at least once a month for familiarization. Have my BHs for regular .44Spec shooting :) . Would be nice if Ruger would come up with one in about the same form factor. Don't mind the trigger as mine isn't for general target (bullseye shooting) . Still can pop the steel target 'fairly' regularly at 70+ yards. Plenty good for the intended 10 feet shooting that hopefully will never happen.

skipper49

Single-Sixer
Never much cared for them, but found out that John Taffin is fond of them, so I changed my opinion. Mr. Taffin is an honest, knowledgeable man, and I pay attention to him.
And yes, my idea of perfection would be the Wiley Clapp 3" GP, in a five shot, .44 Special. My wife hopes they don't make it. :)

Skip

Lee Martin

Hunter
I'd say yes for CCW, but they're not high volume guns. They ship a little loose and get looser if pushed hard. That said, I really like mine:

Charter_Arms_Bulldog_2.jpg

Seems to like 5.0 of Green Dot with a 250 grain Keith. Digests them with ease and hits dead on at 25 yards. The only thing I gave mine was a new set of grips and a trigger job.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I'm with ya writwing, was hoping for a Ruger option. I do like that pug though Lee, is that a 3 inch or 2.5? Some one mention something the other day about taking a 4 inch 44 mag Taurus Tracker and cutting the barrel down behind the ports. Sounded like that could be a feasible option and should feed 44 special no problem.

Doc Thornton

Bearcat
I have one which I keep in my cars console at all times. I love the gun and
it is a definite fight stopper loaded with Blazer 44 special 200 grain Speer
Gold Dots. I feel very confident with it as my main gun. Even with just 5 shots.

I did not like the way it shot with the factory rubber grips so I put on a set
of Pachmayers and WOW! What a difference in comfort and control.

The gun is also very accurate with the Blazer ammo, packs a punch and is
not too hard on the gun as some super duper plus P might be.

Cholo

Staff member
Lee, my '81 or '82 like yours has shot hundreds of 240 SWC's over 6.3 grs of Unique and it's as tight as the day I bought it. Can't speak for the newer ones, though I have no reason to believe they'd be less sturdy. Mine got a trigger job compliments of CA. Long story...

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
I've always wanted one of these but like a dummy never got around to it. Then they started costing around $350 which sounded high since I passed up on so many $200 ones over the years. Then I found this mint 1992 Berkowitz Special locally for $265 with holster and a box of big mouth Magtech hollowpoints. It was fired 15 rounds and looks it. Trigger pull is excellent. Haven't shot it yet but it will be my house gun once I do. Got a speedloader last weekend for it.
Good luck on a fine little gun.

Charter20Arms20010.jpg

steve b

Single-Sixer
I like my '80's stainless 3" Bulldog. Its in my vest pocket now. Stays there until I'm dressed for the day and wearing something with a belt. I work 2nd shift, so its still rather early, coffee still in hand here. Mine stays full of Penn 185 DEWC's. steve b

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
I bought one in the late '70's, when they first came out and as I remember, those very first ones had a problem due to barrel over tightening, which caused a restriction at the forcing cone. My first wife ended up with it, but I just bought another one, a Bulldog Pug in stainless and really like the feel of it. Hope to keep it this time as I make shot loads for snakes and we have rattlesnakes in the neighborhood, so I carry it while walking the dog. Not too long ago there was a thread about them on the Castboolit forum and a fellow said that they really shined in the test of guns for Air Marshals or some law enforcement group like that.
HH

americal

Hunter
Lee Martin said:
I should add I also have an earlier Bulldog (circa 1984):

Charter_Arms_Bulldog.JPG

The older ones are a tad smoother and a little better fit in my opinion.
Have a friend that collects Charters older ones some are as PLUM as Rugers--I like the looks of the older charters.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
No.

My desire for a Bulldog has evaporated every time I have examined one of these guns.

If you found two with good triggers I am surpised. CA guns I have examined have uniformly bad triggers. Of course, the trigger is always better in the gun shop than it is on the range!

Given the chouce between an LCR 38 and a Bulldog, I would take the LCR every time. Or, buy a Vaquero Sheriff 44 SPL and carry that.

YMMV

Rclark

Hunter
Or, buy a Vaquero Sheriff 44 SPL and carry that.
I've bought a Sheriff .44Spec just for that reason ... but still carry the .44Spec Bulldog .... Weight and Size. Can't beat that combination.