Caught in the act!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Proof positive! Caught the rascal on camera stealing my blueberries about 20 minutes ago. Ah, well, I reckon I can spare few. ;)

O19lGpA.jpg

3JRwoY6.jpg

pL8QHpc.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
My spot is kind of an unofficial wildlife refuge, but this is the first fox I've seen up close in several years. A few years back I had a vixen with 3 or 4 kits that would hang out in the front yard while the kits chased each other all over the yard. Same with deer except they'll show up every year with fawns in tow. And dozens of other critters of course - some I could do without. I feel a little sorry for the city folks that don't get to enjoy nature like those of us who are a part of it every day. :) No doubt they feel sorry for us not living with exciting city life. Been there, done that. And left as soon as I could.

KMLMBA

Bearcat
My bride feeds ferrel cats in our patch of heaven. (6 wooded acres.) WE HAVE A RING DOORBELL SO WE GET TO SEE WHO EATS ON THE PORCH.

We have seen a fox, two opossums and a stray dog or two...as well as a few cats.

There are a few hisses now and then, but everyone apparently likes Blue Buffalo and Meow Mix Cat food.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
My spot is kind of an unofficial wildlife refuge, but this is the first fox I've seen up close in several years. A few years back I had a vixen with 3 or 4 kits that would hang out in the front yard while the kits chased each other all over the yard. Same with deer except they'll show up every year with fawns in tow. And dozens of other critters of course - some I could do without. I feel a little sorry for the city folks that don't get to enjoy nature like those of us who are a part of it every day. :) No doubt they feel sorry for us not living with exciting city life. Been there, done that. And left as soon as I could.
Don’t be. I get nightly visits from coon, possum, skunks, jacks, coyotes, foxes (we have a fairly robust population) and owls. Every now and the ferret passes through.

I also get rattlesnakes from time to time. But those are usually down in the canyon. They make brush clearance an interesting endeavor.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a job because of the critters around AND in homes.

I often tell people to get a game camera, set it up, & prepare to be surprised at the amount of roaming wildlife they will see.

BUT,, feeding any wildlife, very close to a house,, can lead to many problems. It's why I can afford to buy Rugers.

Feed close to your home.
Animals get used to free food.
Animals look for cover & shelter to eat the food.
Animals get pregnant, need a home to raise babies.
They move into your home, due to nice dry, warm & secure places they find. Free easy to get to feed, and they are in heaven.

I tell folks;
Bird feeders,, do not attach to your house. Place close to the woodline or brush far enough away so as to allow the animals to use the brush & such as cover & shelter.
Cat food or dog food dishes. Do not leave food in these things after your pet has enjoyed their meal. Wildlife can & will find it,, and decide it's "theirs."

But things like the blueberry bushes, or other such stuff,, are seasonal. Not as big a problem as the man made issues.

xtratoy

Buckeye
We also have a menagerie of random animals that pass through our front and back yard. It is entertaining to watch them pass through in the evening hours.

AJGUNNER

Hunter
Our black lab used to love to eat blueberries off the bushes like that fox. She seemed to be extra gently and would pick them with her lips instead of teeth. Even when some were on the ground, she preferred them fresh off the bushes.

Latest posts