Cast Bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

flatgate

Hawkeye
WyoGunner":2ybbalbi said:
Try and find local makers if you can.

:shock: In Wyoming?

I heard a rumor, from a good source, that Kelly from Riverton just may get back into the bullet business. (He had Cast Performance for years but sold it.) He and Tony, from the old Mt. Baldy Bullets in Keystone, SD, know their stuff!

flatgate

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
flatgate":2u6chnrd said:
WyoGunner":2u6chnrd said:
Try and find local makers if you can.

:shock: In Wyoming?

I heard a rumor, from a good source, that Kelly from Riverton just may get back into the bullet business. (He had Cast Performance for years but sold it.) He and Tony, from the old Mt. Baldy Bullets in Keystone, SD, know their stuff!

flatgate

I am pretty new into the reloading craft and I haven't heard of Cast Performance. I have been using Lone Tree bullets out of Chugwater and they seem to have a quality product. I have shot about 1000 of them so far with great results and minimal leading in my gp100. My father has been loading their 9mm bullets and has experienced some leading problems in his Beretta 92. I think it is because he has them loaded too hot. There is also a company called Cheycast, but I don't know anything about them and I haven't used their product. Even so, you might want to look into them because they offer free shipping on orders over $100 :shock:

http://lonetreebullet.com/

http://www.cheycast.com/

Bones507

Bearcat
Revolver-Time":3n0oc27k said:
Midway has made good by shipping some extra product. And I am probably up some overall. One box arrived with I think 460 out of 500 and they sent me another 50. But it was a hassel trying to get the foam packing separated from the bullets. I bet I have had 5 different shipments arrive with damaged components or lost product due to the packaging.

I have had this happen to me with them a few times in the past, they did make good but who needs the hassle ? I just started casting my own with a friend, its not as tough as i thought it would be. You just have to be careful, pay attention and dont rush. Plenty of good info out there, even a dvd that will help you out. handloader magazine is a wealth of info evey month. I think the dvd was called Bullet casting 101.

john guedry

Single-Sixer
As someone suggested earlier the folks at Cast Boolits are very knowledgable and don't mind answering any questions no matter how goofy they may sound.

Swamp Rat

Bearcat
gmaske":mjpe6s9t said:
If you can find a friendly tire store buy yourself a set of Lee molds and a lead furnace and make your own! Streight wheel weight bullets are good for I think it's a 1000 ft per second and under. Use Lees tumble lube and you'll have no problems.

I am pushing a 190gr tumble lube gas checked .357 (Ranch Dog TL360-190WFPgc)at 1850fps with no leading, also a Lee TL358158 and Lyman 358427Keith at similar speeds from a Marlin and they run out of my BH around 1300fps+ with no leading issues with straight WW. When smelting I use a low temp to sort zinc and hand sort out the soft lead stick-ons and save them for black powder. The MOST IMPORTANT factor for leading with cast bullets is proper sizing for your bore. Slug your barrel and I go .001 over groove dia. Lube makes a difference and everyone has there favorites, I prefer Alox. Hang out over at Castboolits, there is a wealth of info there.

As far as buying, it is not exactly local but I like Beartooth Bullets in Dover, Id and Marshall is a great guy to do business with.

1ruger

Single-Sixer
swoter":1pb35tsh said:
Here you go: http://www.missouribullet.com/
Have heard nothing but good about them.

+1 on Missouri bullets!
I have been using their cast bullets for couple months now for 9mm and 45ACP loads with very good results. I'm getting good accuracy and minimal leading including the 9mm which I'm pushing to almost 1,100 fps from my Hi-Power. I have a shipment of 38 Special bullets coming now which I'm going to try in my 50th Anniversary Blackhawk.

Dale53

Blackhawk
I started reloading and casting bullets in the late forties. I have cast hundreds of thousands of bullets and still do to this day.

My most used calibers these days are .32's, .38/.357's, .44 Special/Magnums, and .45 Colt/.45ACP. I shoot mostly revolvers these days and my most used caliber is .45 ACP.

I wouldn't think of shooting the amount that I do (5000-7500 rounds per year) if I shot factory loads.

Between reloading and casting bullets my cost is less than $2.00 per box of fifty. I don't even count the cost of shooting as it is so inexpensive.

Dale53