Can you release slide on empty chamber?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66

Hunter
I apologize up front if this topic has already been talked about before. I just talked to a friend that has a SA 1911. He said that their operation & safety manuel has a "Notice"(p. 10) that says that you should never press the slide stop and let the slide slam forward on an empty chamber. The operation & safety manuel(I downloaded the pdf) goes on to say that this practice could result in "damage to the breech face on the barrel and undue stress on all action parts, including the hammer and the sear". This is especially true if one's 1911 has had an action job. The proper procedure is to hold/control the slide one hand, release the slide stop with the other, and gentlely let the slide go forward while under control(by the operator). Has anyone else heard this before(I and no one else I have talked to did). I have always released the slide stop and let the slide fly foward(even if there wasn't a round in the magazine). I even called Ruger at Scottsdale and they said that they didn't have any instructions like this in their operation & safety manuel.

PDF for SA 1911:
http://people.cs.clemson.edu/~westall/851/springfield_1911.pdf

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
NEWS to me. NOW....stop and think....how are these claims even possible ?? If the recoil spring is really that powerful, shooting the gun will really beat the crap out of it in no time flat. The "notice"[p.10] I'd say is all but pretty danged silly.

DenverGT

Bearcat
I've always been told not the drop the slide on an empty gun, and I won't do it on any gun I handle. The slide dropping with a loaded mag will absorb some of the energy stripping and chambering a round, without a round to chamber, that energy must hit the parts of the gun harder than in normal operation. I use snap-caps when I need to drop the slide (like testing for hammer follow).

Am I being over-cautious? maybe. But I don't see a downside to handling my guns better than needed. I count on them to save me when I carry them.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
WIL TERRY said:
If the recoil spring is really that powerful, shooting the gun will really beat the crap out of it in no time flat.
Don't forget that chambering a round requires energy.
In expending that energy, the slide is slowed down appreciably.

DSDMMAT

Bearcat
Just like dry firing a gun, there are somethings that "should" not be done.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
I'VE BEEN TOLD THE SAME THING, guys, 60 years ago. I did not believe it then and do not believe it now. SHOW ME THE DAMAGE !!! On the other hand I never use the slide stop and let the slide down by hand. Camp Perry bullseye shooters hold the hammer back and let the slide down by hand. THINK of the differences and why.

LaneP

Single-Sixer
I don't do it, but that's me. I feel the cushioning affect of stripping a round and running it into the chamber decelerates the slide sufficiently to "soften" the slam. The wear that occurs in this way is by design. Will it hurt if done occasionally? No.

There some guns that are designed from the outset to regularly slam shut on an empty chamber, such as the AK-47.

I put letting the slide slam on empty in the same category as flipping the wrist to slam a cylinder into the frame on a swing out DA revolver. Perhaps it's not necessarily going to damage it, but guns are tools, and I like to take care of my tools to the greatest extent possible.

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
I HAVE FOUND AND BELIEVE THE SR1911 IS BUILT TO NEARLY DISALLOW THE DROPPING OF THE SLIDE HOLDBACK, ALLOWING THE SLIDE TO SLAM FORWARD ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER UNLESS THE (ON ALL OF MY SR1911'S)FACTORY SUPPLIED CLIP IS FIRST DROPPED/DISENGAGED. I FURTHER SUGGEST IT IS THE BUILD CONFIGUARATION OF THE FACTORY CLIP THAT CAUSES THIS. NON RUGER CLIPS DO NOT ALLOW THIS "STOPPAGE" SITUATION AND THE SLIDE STOP GOES DOWN EASILY.........JUST MY THEORY AND I DO NOT ALLOW "SLAM SLIDING" OF MY 1911'S, ANY OF THEM. BTW, S&W techs say "Do not do that, period" when I asked years ago after their 1911 had entered the marketplace. 8)

Snake45

Patriot, Mentor, Friend ~ RIP
DenverGT said:
I've always been told not the drop the slide on an empty gun, and I won't do it on any gun I handle. The slide dropping with a loaded mag will absorb some of the energy stripping and chambering a round, without a round to chamber, that energy must hit the parts of the gun harder than in normal operation.
This is the correct answer. :wink:

Snake45

Pat-inCO said:
WIL TERRY said:
If the recoil spring is really that powerful, shooting the gun will really beat the crap out of it in no time flat.
Don't forget that chambering a round requires energy.
In expending that energy, the slide is slowed down appreciably.
Another iteration of the correct answer. :wink:

Snake45

Highspeedlane said:
I don't do it, but that's me. I feel the cushioning affect of stripping a round and running it into the chamber decelerates the slide sufficiently to "soften" the slam. The wear that occurs in this way is by design. Will it hurt if done occasionally? No.

I put letting the slide slam on empty in the same category as flipping the wrist to slam a cylinder into the frame on a swing out DA revolver. Perhaps it's not necessarily going to damage it, but guns are tools, and I like to take care of my tools to the greatest extent possible.
Yet another iteration of the CORRECT answer. :wink:

pyth0n

Buckeye
This from a post in the other Ruger forum.
Iowegan wrote, "Slide or bolt slamming might get you thrown out of your LGS or your buddy might slap you 'upside the head, but it is not going to hurt a quality pistol. You mentioned MK II and MK IIIs .... do you realize ... Ruger Standards and MK I's have the same identical extractor, ectractor groove, and almost identical bolts? Because Standards and MK I's don't lock the bolt back after the last round fires, it is very common for shooter to lose count, let the bolt slam on an empty chamber, then dry fire. Funny .... these old Standards and MK Is are still around, still shoot like a champ, and suffer no decernable damage. Believe it or not, Ruger designed them to be slammed.

Out of respect for other gun owners, I don't pick up their guns and dry fire or slam bolts/slides. Fact is, this practice is like a lot of other gun myths and has no basis but at the same time, people that believe these myths are going to be pissed if they think you are abusing their guns. Sometimes discression is the better part of valor."

Snake45

pyth0n said:
Iowegan wrote, "Slide or bolt slamming might get you thrown out of your LGS or your buddy might slap you 'upside the head, but it is not going to hurt a quality pistol. You mentioned MK II and MK IIIs .... do you realize ... Ruger Standards and MK I's have the same identical extractor, ectractor groove, and almost identical bolts? Because Standards and MK I's don't lock the bolt back after the last round fires, it is very common for shooter to lose count, let the bolt slam on an empty chamber, then dry fire. Funny .... these old Standards and MK Is are still around, still shoot like a champ, and suffer no decernable damage. Believe it or not, Ruger designed them to be slammed.

Out of respect for other gun owners, I don't pick up their guns and dry fire or slam bolts/slides. Fact is, this practice is like a lot of other gun myths and has no basis but at the same time, people that believe these myths are going to be pissed if they think you are abusing their guns. Sometimes discression is the better part of valor."
Ruger .22 autos are not the same thing as a 1911. Two completely different animals.

pyth0n

Buckeye
Snake45 said:
pyth0n said:

Ruger .22 autos are not the same thing as a 1911. Two completely different animals.
This topic was about other model as well. The .22s were used as an example. I'm personally not convinced damage will be done unless the gun was a real junker to begin with. In the past, IIRC Ruger did have a peaning problem with the SR and was, I believe, attributed to improper heat treatment. Kimber had a problem with some slides & frames cracking, some what of a coincidence since I believe Ruger was making one of them. An old timer range buddy had his Kimber slide split in two, front to back. No Kaboom.
He passed away shortly after and after a period of time we asked, but no one knew anymore about the gun. But all were defects in the gun. But I agree with Iowegans last paragraph.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Short answer. Don't do it.

Remove the barrel and slip the slidestop crosspin through the link. Swing it into the in-battery position, and look at the tiny contact patch between the lower lug feet and the slidestop pin. Look at it.

That's all that absorbs the slide's momentum when the gun isn't feeding ammunition. I've seen those lug feet cracked and I've seen'em broken slap off. I've seen'em deform and let the slide sit a good 64th inch forward of the rear of the frame.

I've seen slidestop pin holes in the frame egg-shaped because of it. I've seen LW Commander frames crack adjacent to the pin hole...most often in the bottom.

Show me the damage

Well...I didn't make pictures years ago because didn't figure on havin' to prove that abusin' guns will break'em sooner or later, and the last one that I saw that broke the lug feet was about 5 years ago. It was a Springfield. I didn't make a picture of that one, either. I just replaced the barrel for the guy and sent him home a wiser man.

Yes. He admitted to sitting around playing with the gun, dropping the slide while the gun was empty. I didn't inquire if he stood in front of a mirror askin': "You talkin' to me?"

Anyway. It's your gun. Smoke'em if ya got'em.

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
WIL TERRY said:
I'VE BEEN TOLD THE SAME THING, guys, 60 years ago. I did not believe it then and do not believe it now. SHOW ME THE DAMAGE!
Let's see, you want ME to ruin a perfectly good gun . . . . just to take
some pictures to convince YOU? :roll:
Guess again.

Latest posts