Can You Handle The .44 Magnum?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Teflon97116

Bearcat
A heavier frame, full-size (non-compact) grip and longer barrel (like 6") all contribute to making the .44 mag a lot more civilized/comfy to shoot. Same with .357 mag.

I once knew a couple knuckle-draggers (no longer do) who thought it was funny to take a wife or girlfriend shooting for the first time and start her off with a .44 mag snubby. "Yeah, that thing flew straight up in the air and she almost shjt her pants! Haw Haw Haw!"

Idiots... No wonder she doesn't ever want to go again.

Last edited:

Falkov

Bearcat
I agree ^^^^, the guy probably thought it was cute/ funny to start off with snubby and wondered why she never wanted to ever touch firearm again.

Jon406

Single-Sixer
Since my last post on this subject April 2022 I've changed my mind since acquiring a Redhawk in 5.5" which has a much better felt recoil, and shooting milder loads in both .44 Spl and .44 Magnum.

DSCF1132.jpg

335620898_525781516369526_2066905425551874155_n.jpg

Falkov

Bearcat
I've too have owned something for a while before getting the courage to fire. Really enjoy the 44 but it doesn't have to be full tilt all the time. I like to remind myself that Remington's 44 mag was hotter than what Elmer originally asked for.

The rather sad thing was that while I was owning SRH with 7" barrel, I also acquired a SRH with 9" barrel in Like New condition for around $400 - locally. But less than a year later, I didn't see the need (or practicality of ) a Revolver with barrel that long, so I ended up selling for the same price- WITHOUT putting a single round through. I have slight regret since it was in such a nice condition, but I don't hunt. Glad I still have one SRH left.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
I commonly shoot my big bores full power. But far more often, I shoot smaller stuff.

Typically I will fire 20-30 500 or 475 Linebaughs during a session each week. But the same session will include a hundred 32H&R, 100 357 mag or max, and a couple hundred 38sp,45acp, or 10mm in defensive drills. Big things should be taken in small doses or you can hurt yourself and will develop a flinch.

freakindawgen

Single-Sixer
My first real gun was a Super Blackhawk. I fell in love. Even let my sister shoot it (with .44 Specials secretly) she liked it. The last two were magnums and while it startled her, she did fire the last one.

bwct

Bearcat
Mild reloads are preferred in my Redhawk Alpine conversion. I should have kept the Super Blackhawk that I sold many years ago. A S&W model 28 conversion to .44 spl. shoots well.