Can a 22LR bullets shoot through a 22 mag RPR rifle without problem?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SkyHawk23

Bearcat
I just purchased the RPR 22 mag, but I was wondering if I can shoot 22LR and use the 22LR mag in the RPR 22 mag rifle without causing any harm to the gun?

TIA

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I have that rifle. I would not advise using anything other than .22mag. Don't try to cheap out by using .22lr - you'd just be asking for trouble. The magazines are also completely different sizes.

The .22LR cartridge probably won't feed into the chamber from the .22 magnum magazine, and may not fire if it does. And if it does fire, the case will likely swell and possibly split, as was stated by an earlier post.

Dan in MI

Staff member
It probably won't harm the gun, but it will split the cases. Accuracy will be miserable, too.
This ^

A few years some locals came to sight in at the farm I hunt. One was shooting a Marlin .22 with horrible accuracy and function issues. He was referred to me for help. What you propose was his issue. He had a .22 mag rifle and was shooting LR.

Mauser9

Blackhawk
Have seen this more than once. Some did not know the difference between the 2. have seen some horror shows at my club years back concerning wrong ammo. Best one was the older gent trying to stuff 380 rounds in a 32 caliber magazine. He said the magazine must have shrunk over the years!! Glad we don't open the club on Saturday's any longer to the public.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
RPR mags.

The one on the left is a 25rnd .22LR magazine, on the right is a 15rnd .22mag magazine. They are not interchangeable.

rpr mags.JPG

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I would think most of us have shot a few LR's through a Magnum rifle or revolver, they will work but good luck getting a .22 mag in if you do it to much. As I'm sure you know the .22Mag case dia is larger and longer and the LR case will expand some.

I took a survival class back in 1981 and that was a question that someone asked, so after the class I had to try it. I don't remember how accurate the LRs were being fired through my Single Six with the magnum cylinder but it was a fun test and knowing in a pinch it was possible.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
You know what? I am sick and tired of trying to keep people from trying to do stupid stuff to harm themselves and their equipment.

Have at it, buddy. Good luck...

The OP asked a question. If you don't want to help him out, then don't respond.

:rolleyes:

@SkyHawk23 the other guys are correct. Even though they are both .22 Rimfire cartridges, they are not common enough to work like a .38 Special/.357 Magnum situation. Use only the .22 WMR ammunition for which your rifle is chambered.

Welcome to the forum. Stick around, there are a bunch of folks here that can help and are willing to do so.

Good luck with your RPR

Aqualung

Last edited:

SkyHawk23

Bearcat
Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and opinions, so are great and some aren't helpful at all. But anyway, I wasn't trying to do anything stupid to the rifle, after all I did spend some good retirement money on the purchase of the new rifle. I am just trying to see if it is possible if I need something in a pinch. I have been shooting and reloading for about 40+ year, just never really into the 22-rem fire arena per says. But lately a lot of change in the World of firearms so I just gather as much info as I can just in case, and making sure that I won't harm myself or anyone else around me.

Thanks again for all the great reply and opinion, and a great community of gun enthusiast.

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
The answer is no.

The answer to that is no as well. That makes no sense.
Well in a survival situation anything that works makes sense. Say your lost and hungry, You have a .22Mag Single Six, .22LR ammo and a rabbit sitting 5 yards in front of you, what are you going to do toss a handful of ammo and or the handgun at it or try to shoot in with .22LR ammo in your Magnum cylinder?

Latest posts