Can a 22LR bullets shoot through a 22 mag RPR rifle without problem?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I don't remember how accurate the LRs were being fired through my Single Six with the magnum cylinder but it was a fun test and knowing in a pinch it was possible.
I was deer scouting with my son when he was about 9. I brought a few handguns, one my Super Single Six. I was shooting at a puddle at about 35 yds. or so and they were all over the place :unsure: I ejected them and they were all split. Yup, I had the mag. cylinder in it and I'd stuffed it full with LR's. I didn't have a clue when I'd stuck that mag. cylinder in.

I don't recall exactly, but I'd say the groups were about 18" at that range. It was pretty pitiful LOL
So everyone better stop shooting there Single Six convertibles, Because It's Just Not Safe... :rolleyes:
Now, I know that you know that the convertible Single Sixes are bored for the mag. diameter. Fox Mike was correct in what he said.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and opinions, so are great and some aren't helpful at all. But anyway, I wasn't trying to do anything stupid to the rifle, after all I did spend some good retirement money on the purchase of the new rifle. I am just trying to see if it is possible if I need something in a pinch. I have been shooting and reloading for about 40+ year, just never really into the 22-rem fire arena per says. But lately a lot of change in the World of firearms so I just gather as much info as I can just in case, and making sure that I won't harm myself or anyone else around me.

Thanks again for all the great reply and opinion, and a great community of gun enthusiast.

Welcome to the forum!

Nobody has mentioned it, but you might see some .22 Winchester Rimfire (.22 WRF) once in a while - I think Winchester (and maybe other manufacturers) do a production run now and again. The .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (.22 WMR) is basically just a lengthened .22 WRF. I tried some .22 WRF when I first got my Ruger 77/22 Magnum, and IIRC they fed, fired & ejected just fine. That rifle definitely preferred 30 grain bullets, though, so I stuck with the .22 WMR. If your rifle prefers 40-45 grain bullets, you might try some .22 WRF, just to see how it performs - the .22 WRF (and the identical .22 Remington Special) should be safe to shoot in any .22 WMR bolt gun or revolver.

There are definitely exceptions to the old "only shoot what it says on the barrel" rule!

As always IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc., etc.
:)

Last edited:

GasGuzzler

Hunter
The problem is not the bullet diameter. I've loaded .358" magnum cast bullets in 9X19 cases and they have 0.001" difference too. Besides the obvious length difference that will keep a WMR from chambering in an LR, the shape of the chamber and the diameter OF THE CHAMBER are different.

A closer comparison is to say it's okay to shoot 9X18 in a Luger chamber. Would you try that?

I was deer scouting with my son when he was about 9. I brought a few handguns, one my Super Single Six. I was shooting at a puddle at about 35 yds. or so and they were all over the place :unsure: I ejected them and they were all split. Yup, I had the mag. cylinder in it and I'd stuffed it full with LR's. I didn't have a clue when I'd stuck that mag. cylinder in.

I don't recall exactly, but I'd say the groups were about 18" at that range. It was pretty pitiful LOL

Now, I know that you know that the convertible Single Sixes are bored for the mag. diameter. Fox Mike was correct in what he said.
Well I'm sorry to say that I've never owned a single six so can't affirm accuracy but if the convertibles were accurate with the long rifle,why wouldn't the accuracy be the same in the WMR cylinder?

Cholo

Staff member
Well I'm sorry to say that I've never owned a single six so can't affirm accuracy but if the convertibles were accurate with the long rifle,why wouldn't the accuracy be the same in the WMR cylinder?
They are about the same accuracy if you shoot LR's in the LR cylinder and magnums in the magnum cylinder.

Did I understand your question correctly?

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Back in the dark ages, I found you could, very carefully grind and file a 22 mag case so a long rifle or long would fit inside and you could shoot them. There used to be a fellow Ace something that made an insert that would fit in a mag chamber and allow you to shoot long rifles that way.
I didn't see much difference in accuracy, but I was in my teens and shooting open sights at cans and bottles at the dump.
Bfly

woodsy

Blackhawk
I was referring to using the LR in the magnum cylinder as the bore size is the same and the only difference is the length and bullet diameter
The bore size (of the barrel) may be the same, but the .22 LR bullet is .002" larger in diameter. And the LR cartridge will "rattle" in the chamber of a Mag.

Latest posts