Burned marks on side of my spent brass. Is this dangerous?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

DGW1949

Hunter
Re: "Hello all I've just returned from the range and I noticed burned areas on a lot of my spent brass I have not seen before. I am using the Lone Wolf M/19XL 9mm 5.32 inch barrel in a Glock 26 Gen 4. These picks where taken just after firing 150 rounds of range ammo. I've never seen marks this dramatic and just wanted to see if I have a problem here or not. "

Going from the above, my take is that something aint right relative to the chamber of your new barrel. Yeah, you can look for ammo which MAY have enough additional pressure to seal the case when it's fired, but that really aint how to go about addressing the real problem.

Personally, I'd have already been on the phone with ever who it was that sold me that barrel.........just sayin'.

DGW

opos

Buckeye
I shoot sissy loads of Trail Boss in my .45 Colt revolvers (got several and they all do the same)...because they are lead projectiles (coated lead) and I crimp vry gently because I don't care to deform the bullets..my cases don't seal as well as if I were crimping harder or loading hotter...I get dirty cases all the time but they clean right up and no issues...I get lots of life and no permanent staining....been doing it for a long time and no hassles...I clean the guns after every shooting so the little bit of soot that shows up goes away at each cleaning...There are some times when I'm loading tooth rattler loads that I crimp really hard and I seldom get any sooting (maybe some with Unique) but with the soft loads it's just part of the deal to get some sooting.

My 45acp CZ 97 will show a bit of sooting but I load medium loads of W231 under a 200 grain lead (coated) soft (12 bhn) lead...I only take the belling out of the mouth of the case with a gentle taper crimp...hotter loads don't soot as much but both run the gun just fine and the softer loads are easier on my arthritis.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Hey guys just an update for you all. I read all the latest responses here thanks for the input it's really helpful. DGW1949, your post got me to thinking and I thought why not at least call at ask so that's what I did yesterday afternoon. I had a good conversation with a customer service rep at Lonewolf. He was pretty knowledgeable and very friendly. He basically repeated what so many of you have already said in this thread and did not believe it was anything to worry about.

However out of an abundance of caution he gave me an email address and asked me to send pictures of the brass which I did. He is going to forward the pictures to one of the armorers they have on staff to have a look and promised to get back with me with the armorers opinion.

I want to stress there is probably a %90 chance I'm simply worrying over nothing as many of you have already explained. I made the call more for my own piece of mind. The barrel and recoil spring have preformed great it's far more accurate than the standard barrel and fit and finish (assuming the chamber is okay) is outstanding. I'm a satisfied customer however anyone can make a mistake. In short no one should take this as a message not to order one of their barrels. The customer service rep told me this is the first complaint he's ever heard about this particular problem.

Will post back once I hear from the armorer after he's looked at my pics. Thanks again all.

Dan in MI

Staff member
Reading this and seeing you were using factory ammo put me in the same thought process as DGW1949. I'd be doing a chamber cast.

All of what was said about brass variances is true, but generally factory is high enough pressure to prevent blowby.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Update, the armorer took a look at my pics and apparently saw no need for concern but they did offer to me the chance to send it back and said they would be happy inspect the barrel for me. I thought about it and decided not to do that.