Burned marks on side of my spent brass. Is this dangerous?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Hello all I've just returned from the range and I noticed burned areas on a lot of my spent brass I have not seen before. I am using the Lone Wolf M/19XL 9mm 5.32 inch barrel in a Glock 26 Gen 4. These picks where taken just after firing 150 rounds of range ammo. I've never seen marks this dramatic and just wanted to see if I have a problem here or not.

The ammo fired was. All range ammo
Remington UMC 124 grains 9mm
Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ 9mm
Blazer 115 grain FMJ 9mm

I only grabbed a couple of handfuls of my brass some seemed fine, I placed the most dramatic examples in the foreground. The row behind was either totally unaffected or very very lightly burned on the outside. Thanks for any help you may give it's got me a little worried.

IMG_0190_zpseswsea74.jpg

Here's my best attempt to give you a look at the inside of the chamber, uncleaned and first time fired.
IMG_0196_zps0ui4d8fc.jpg

I noticed a darker mark near the top of the chamber, I have no idea if that's related or not. I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts on this. Thank you.

Rei40c

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
It just indicates that the chamber pressure is not enough to expand the case enough to seal the gasses from excaping out around the case. Unless your chamber is over spec. , it is nothing to worry about. If you have shot ammo that does not do that,that is the brand to use. Extra blowback will cause more gunk to clean up when you clean it.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Chuck 100 yd said:
It just indicates that the chamber pressure is not enough to expand the case enough to seal the gasses from excaping out around the case. Unless your chamber is over spec. , it is nothing to worry about. If you have shot ammo that does not do that,that is the brand to use. Extra blowback will cause more gunk to clean up when you clean it.

Okay thanks, Chuck I actually just broke it down and am sitting down to clean it right now. I have to say I had no complaints about the function. I noticed nothing odd or unusual and I think my groups where some of the best I ever shot. It seemed to happen across all three of the ammo brands. However ejection seemed good, no malfunctions, just this ugly brass that I'm not used to. I didn't have anything hotter to try. I should have thought to bring some. I have a few 124 Gold Dot's. They don't feel very hot to me, but a lil more than range ammo. It may be a while before I'm able to get back to the range but I'll update everyone if I notice a difference.
IMG_0197_zps2h1ynatu.jpg

Not so bad considering, should be a quick cleanup. :)
Best regards,

stevemb

Hunter
I believe Chuck 100yd is correct. These loads did cycle that action, but did not seal to the chamber. If they shot well and you are happy with them in every other way, clean and ignore.

jsh

Single-Sixer
I myself would not make it a habit of using that load/ammo. As mentioned the brass is not doing its job.
It will show false high pressure signs in some gun designs. Read bolt thrust here. If gas is coming out the back rather than the muzzle, can't be good.
YMMV

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Hello guys, I got my spent brass out yet again a moment ago and inspected it closer and made an interesting discovery. About %90 that showed the worst cases of blackening on the outter case wall was from Blazer 115 grain. All the Fiocchi brass I found except one showed no sign of it and ejected nearly perfect clean brass on the outside.

Surprisingly the Remington UMC showed some signs of this but in those cases most of the escaped gas only moved about a quarter down the case as opposed to the Blazer that went almost the entire length of the brass (as shown in picture).

I have no reloading books and have no idea which loads are higher pressure I always assume range FMJ to be usually on the weak side. I could not detect any real difference in terms of recoil firing the three brands. They all seemed rather tame. But there's probably slight differences going on inside my chamber that I can't detect by feel.

So I suppose I can conclude the following in terms of chamber pressures based on my brass from high to low.

1. Fiocchi
2. Remington UMC
3. Blazer

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
There are differences between brass by manufacturer, might be harder/softer of thicker/thinner. Also the powder charge might be dirtier. :D

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
There are differences between brass by manufacturer, might be harder/softer of thicker/thinner. Also the powder charge might be dirtier. :D

Good point, see I'm not a reloader and don't even really know all the variables that could possibly be involved. As a shooter my only thought was "oh crap! did I just waste $120 bucks on a barrel?" :lol: I have to say again the barrel and recoil spring preformed excellently. It was only when I got home that I started to wonder about the brass. At the range it was all smiles and good groups (for me at least).

Rei40c

Blackhawk
http://www.blazer-ammo.com/blazer_brass.aspx

Jimbo check this link, they go on about how their brass is made to be reloaded so I wondered if they may beef it up a bit which could explain it. Looking at their listed ballistics it's warmer than I thought 1145 at the muzzle so I suppose it's not a case of weaker powder. They seem to really be selling the fact it's good for reloading is what I noticed.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
Blazer brass is made by CCI . I have been in their plant on Snake River ave. in Lewiston ,Idaho . It is good brass.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Slenk said:
Blazer brass is made by CCI . I have been in their plant on Snake River ave. in Lewiston ,Idaho . It is good brass.

Oh I have no doubt it's good I've fired thousands of rounds of their .40 over the years. I'm just wondering if it's a bit sturdier than other manufacturers. Perhaps those higher standards lead to a stronger round overall, which is a great thing for anyone but me I suppose.

Jim Puke

Hunter
I have seen brass do it regardless of load. I have had some do it and I know the loads were more than sufficient to seal the chamber. Some brass will do it and some won't and I really pay it no attention.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Hum, I'm probably just overthinking this and seeing a problem where none exists. But that's good to know because it really would have bugged me.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Blowby can be a real pain in the butt even if not dangerous. Untill I increased my bullet weight and powder charge in my Cowboy (CAS) ammo , my marlin 1894 .45 Colt would blow oil from the action onto my glasses and the fuff of gas that excaped past the case could be felt on my face every shot. That was kind of anoying even if not dangerous. Increasing the charge and bullet weight solved that problem. Also Marlin .45 Colt chambers are known to run on the large side compounding the problem.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
Chuck 100 yd said:
Blowby can be a real pain in the butt even if not dangerous. Untill I increased my bullet weight and powder charge in my Cowboy (CAS) ammo , my marlin 1894 .45 Colt would blow oil from the action onto my glasses and the fuff of gas that excaped past the case could be felt on my face every shot. That was kind of anoying even if not dangerous. Increasing the charge and bullet weight solved that problem. Also Marlin .45 Colt chambers are known to run on the large side compounding the problem.

That's interesting I wonder if increasing the bullet weight to 124, or even 147 grain might change things with the blow back. The majority I fired was 115. Hum.. more money to be spent in testing ammo. :) I can't complain really the truth is I love this kind of thing.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Rei40c said:
Chuck 100 yd said:

That's interesting I wonder if increasing the bullet weight to 124, or even 147 grain might change things with the blow back. The majority I fired was 115. Hum.. more money to be spent in testing ammo. :) I can't complain really the truth is I love this kind of thing.

Increasing bullet weight will increase chamber pressure quicker . It takes more energy (pressure) to start the heavier bullet moving. Also different brands of brass are made to different thickness and hardness. Winchester brass has long been known to be some of the thinnest brass made. Not a bad thing and many prefer it that way. Testing is the only way to know for sure.

Rei40c said:
Hello guys, I got my spent brass out yet again a moment ago and inspected it closer and made an interesting discovery. About %90 that showed the worst cases of blackening on the outter case wall was from Blazer 115 grain. All the Fiocchi brass I found except one showed no sign of it and ejected nearly perfect clean brass on the outside.

Surprisingly the Remington UMC showed some signs of this but in those cases most of the escaped gas only moved about a quarter down the case as opposed to the Blazer that went almost the entire length of the brass (as shown in picture).

I have no reloading books and have no idea which loads are higher pressure I always assume range FMJ to be usually on the weak side. I could not detect any real difference in terms of recoil firing the three brands. They all seemed rather tame. But there's probably slight differences going on inside my chamber that I can't detect by feel.

So I suppose I can conclude the following in terms of chamber pressures based on my brass from high to low.

1. Fiocchi
2. Remington UMC
3. Blazer

I had Fiocchi 410 rounds in my bond derringer tried three of them all had pierce primers.
Winchester no Remington no Fiocchi made my do not buy list. ps

Latest posts