Broken Striker Shaft on SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jay1958

Bearcat
I have always been a big Ruger fan, for over a decade since I owned my first Ruger - a P95DC 9mm. And I loved my SR9 - so much so that my wife and I each have our own. But my enthusiasm for Ruger semiautos just took a big hit.

On our last trip to the range this past weekend, after firing about 50 rds, the black plastic striker shaft (some call it an indicator) fell out the back of the slide. It was broken off at point where there is a hole that goes thru it to accomodate the roll pin/cross pin that holds it in place.

I called Ruger Customer Service several times this week, and always ended up on hold for a long time - each time I gave up and hung up. While I was on hold it was telling me "You are now number 16 in line", "You are now number 13 in line", etc. It was a little frustrating but I know that sometimes they are very busy, and I had confidence from Ruger's reputation and my past dealings with Customer Service which have been mostly stellar.

Finally today I got through and the person who I spoke with acted like they could care less. I explained the situation carefully - using the correct terminology - 'striker shaft' is how the part is described in the diagram in the owner's manual.

"Yeah, well, okay. You can send it back and we'll take a look at it."

"What address do I send it it to? and can I get a return shipping label, please?"

"Send it to the Prescott facility."

"Can you send me a shipping label?"

At this point, the call was cut off. It could have been my cell phone, I don't know, but my impression was that I was cut off or hung up on.

Needless to say I am extremely disappointed. Rather than go thru the whole "call on hold" routine and take another chance on a similar experience and winding up with another inferior, fragile plastic part, I have decided to replace both of the striker shafts in our SR9s with aftermarket aluminum striker shafts.

I am not in any rush to get rid of my Single-Six, my GP100, my SP101 or even mine or my wife's SR9, but I am no longer considering an LCP or an LC9 or any other Ruger product for future purchases. It's really sad when I want to be a loyal customer and some companies just won't let me.

One less than desirable customer service experience would not drive such a decision, but after all the recalls and now this cheap plastic part breaking on a pistol that has been well-maintained, has never seen +P ammo or been dry-fired with the mag disconnect in place and with less than 2,000 rounds down the pipe - my confidence in post-P model Ruger semis is not very high.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Yep I would be upset also. I would not get rid of the gun though. I believe you have made the right decision. I would get my new aluminum striker indicator from Galloway precision. I have one on my SR9c and love it.
Here is the web page if you don't have it.
Good Luck.

http://www.gallowayprecision.com/sr9409c40cparts.html

Lateck

Single-Sixer
Sorry to hear about your problem. I have not used Ruger's C.S.

I would do as suggested; order the polished aluminum part from Galloway! (I have it in all three of my SR's)

Then on a slow week day call Ruger again.

Good luck and don't let one sour apple spoil the whole....

Lateck

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Sorry about your problems Jay.

One option would be to contact the CEO via the below link.

http://ruger.com/resources/tellTheCEO.html

Tell him what you told us here. Tell him the Customer Service persons name if you know it. Close in a nice way that lets him know that you are sure he will remedy the situation.

Charlie

boomer1

Single-Sixer
Leucoandro said:

Tell him what you told us here. Tell him the Customer Service persons name if you know it. Close in a nice way that lets him know that you are sure he will remedy the situation.

Charlie

+1

boomer 8)

A

Anonymous

I sent them a letter about 10 days ago, and mentioned how their CS- and quality control ref" manufacturing- was suffering lately. At least in reputation. Haven't heard anything back, but may just send a copy to that CEO shown above.

Big Stu

Single-Sixer
I am sorry to hear of your troubles, but I must say that in all my dealings with Ruger customer service, I have been delighted with their professionalism and care. I hope they will serve you better in the future , and I can understand your disappointment.

chm270

Single-Sixer
one might think if they are having that much problem with a part they would either recall the pistols or offer to send the part so you could change your own.
Re-designed in the aluminum of course.

Verndog

Blackhawk
chm270 said:
one might think if they are having that much problem with a part they would either recall the pistols or offer to send the part so you could change your own.

Recall? First I've seen posted on a broken striker indicator on SR series. :?:

chm270

Single-Sixer
Verndog said:
chm270 said:

I wonder why the other posters in this thread changed theirs to the aluminum ones?? I guess I just interperted it as a weak part in the pistols.
Maybe plastic just doesn't belong in certain "vulnerable" parts on a gun?
I was just sayin.. no need to get whatever over it.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
I really just changed mine for looks and to help smooth the trigger pull a little. I really like mine the looks of the SS recoil rod and aluminum striker indicator make the gun look and feel more durable.

Lateck

Single-Sixer
chm270 said:
Verndog said:
chm270 said:
This is the first thread I have read of this problem, too.

I wonder why the other posters in this thread changed theirs to the aluminum ones?? I guess I just interperted it as a weak part in the pistols.
Maybe plastic just doesn't belong in certain "vulnerable" parts on a gun?

I like the "Looks" of the alumunum. I would have changed to a "White" plastic if it were offered.. :lol: 8)

Lateck,

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
I changed mine purely for looks as well.

I don't see much of a way for that shaft to break, really, unless you got something jammed inside the striker indicator channel or just got a random bubble in the plastic during casting.

I imagine the call got cut off, not that you got hung up on. I know when I broke my STRIKER itself... they offered to send me a new one (either just the striker, or a new striker assembly) right away, or to let me send the pistol in if I didn't feel comfortable changing it myself. I was able to go and pick it up myself same-day... but I can't imagine them hanging up on you!

Verndog

Blackhawk
chm270 said:

Get whatever over it? All I said was "it's the first post I've seen on it." I recommend you not jump up and down too much with that hair trigger or yours. :wink:

Jay1958

Bearcat
Thanks for all the input! I am definitely going to be installing the aluminum aftermarket striker shafts from Galloway in both our SR9s.

I am also considering contacting Ruger again, but not sure it will do much good since I am going with the aluminum parts.

Thanks again,

Jay

inuswetrust

Bearcat
Since the Internet, ALL customer service (with a few exceptions) has gone to crap. Before the Internet, companies would do analysis of their incoming customer service calls, and make sure they had enough representatives on hand to handle the heavy call periods. Also, they would insure that their CS staff was personable and well trained. Today, it seams like almost all of the larger companies have very little regard for customer service.

In the bigger picture, let's be glad that we still have a few manufacturing companies in the USA. Let's support them when we can. That said, let's support your local gun store and brick & mortar businesses in general. Our quest for cheaper prices is having an adverse effect on the quality of service. Competitive pricing and knowledgeable friendly CS do not go hand-in-hand. CS is considered a profit-loss center to 90% of companies. The few that still put emphasis on CS tend to profit from taking that posture.

Back on topic to the striker indicator. I swapped mine out to smooth out the trigger on my SR9, and because I could compare it side-by-side with my wife's SR9, I can tell you there is absolutely a difference. The additional benefit is when I watch videos of our shooting. You can see when the trigger is being prepped, as opposed to being slapped.

Verndog

Blackhawk
inuswetrust said:
Back on topic to the striker indicator. I swapped mine out to smooth out the trigger on my SR9, and because I could compare it side-by-side with my wife's SR9, I can tell you there is absolutely a difference.

You swapped yours out with what? A whole new assembly, or the Galloway aluminum shaft?

Jay1958

Bearcat
Thanks for the link. I did use it to contact Ruger. If nothing else, maybe it will help others in the future who experience broken striker shafts or less than helpful customer service...

I'm not expecting to gain anything from it myself, since I am already in the process of replacing the striker shafts in both our SR9s with aluminum parts from Galloway.

As I said before, I will keep both our SR9s (with the aluminum replacement parts, once their installed) as well as my GP100, SP101 and Single-Six, but it has probably nixed the possibility of me owning any additional Ruger products in the future, unless something happens to change my mind.

Just for the record, other Rugers that I have previously owned (and sold) are two Ruger P95DC 9mm, and a Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum. My previous experience with Ruger customer service was limited to one minor issue with a P95DC - which Ruger handled exceptionally well, going above and beyond - and the SR9 recall.

Leucoandro said:

Verndog

Blackhawk
Jay1958 said:
...Just for the record, other Rugers that I have previously owned (and sold) are two Ruger P95DC 9mm, and a Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum. My previous experience with Ruger customer service was limited to one minor issue with a P95DC - which Ruger handled exceptionally well, going above and beyond - and the SR9 recall.

Ruger customer service generally rates very high. Just because you caught them on a busy day, and got someone that was less then expected, does not mean you wouldn't have gotten taken care of to your satisfaction. It only means possibly it was more difficult then you had hoped. IMO certainly not enough reason to boycott a product that you like...keep in mind your dealing with humans here. :wink:

Jay1958

Bearcat
Verndog,

You're right. Here is what I said in my original post:

"One less than desirable customer service experience would not drive such a decision, but after all the recalls and now this cheap plastic part breaking on a pistol that has been well-maintained, has never seen +P ammo or been dry-fired with the mag disconnect in place and with less than 2,000 rounds down the pipe - my confidence in post-P model Ruger semis is not very high."

UPDATE!

Today, just one day after using the "Tell the CEO" link on the Ruger website, I got a call from Ruger! They assured me that my recent experience with Ruger Customer Service was NOT the norm, nor what I should expect from Ruger. They also said they would be sending a replacement striker shaft out right away, at no charge.

So that made me feel a lot better about Ruger's Customer Service. I'm still not sure how I feel about the plastic part that failed in the first place, and I will still be replacing both striker shafts with aluminum parts. In retrospect, I guess I should have thanked the caller for the offer, and asked them to keep the part, as I am not planning to use it, but I didn't have time to think that through clearly while on the phone with them for a few moments - and I didn't want to come across as confrontational or ungrateful by refusing their offer.

Verndog said:
Jay1958 said:
...Just for the record, other Rugers that I have previously owned (and sold) are two Ruger P95DC 9mm, and a Ruger Blackhawk 44 magnum. My previous experience with Ruger customer service was limited to one minor issue with a P95DC - which Ruger handled exceptionally well, going above and beyond - and the SR9 recall.

Ruger customer service generally rates very high. Just because you caught them on a busy day, and got someone that was less then expected, does not mean you wouldn't have gotten taken care of to your satisfaction. It only means possibly it was more difficult then you had hoped. IMO certainly not enough reason to boycott a product that you like...keep in mind your dealing with humans here. :wink: