Broken front sight and new slide material on recent 1911?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsrfun1

Bearcat
Hello - I am looking at a used Ruger 1911 made in March 2013. I called Ruger and asked them if my gun could be affected by the "broken front sight" issue. They said it was hard to pin down a specific date range when this problem occurred.
The gal then told me, after checking with a tech, that Ruger had started using a different material to make the slides, to help resolve the issue. Sounded strange to me, so I asked her to repeat it, which she did.
So two questions:
1) Is there any reliably established manufacturing date range when the broken front sight issue occurred?
2) Anyone heard about a new material being used for the front slide in past couple years?
Thanks

gunsrfun1

Bearcat
What I thought, which is why I asked her twice and even asked if she meant slide or sight. She clearly said "slide." She said they were using a different slide material to better hold the front sight.
However, to your point, she was relaying what a tech had told her, so maybe it got "lost in translation."
But you never know. Ruger was not exactly overly forthcoming about the original broken sight issue.
Which is why I was asking.