Brass grip shims

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hudlow

Bearcat
I have seen thin brass shims or inserts fitted between the grip frame and the grips of handguns. It makes a very neat looking job and the brass adds a nice detail.

Is there a source for these brass inserts or are they pretty much a do-it-yourself project?

Thanks, hud

caryc

Hawkeye
hudlow said:
I have seen thin brass shims or inserts fitted between the grip frame and the grips of handguns. It makes a very neat looking job and the brass adds a nice detail.

Is there a source for these brass inserts or are they pretty much a do-it-yourself project?

Thanks, hud

How thick is the brass you're talking about?

hudlow

Bearcat
caryc said:
hudlow said:

Thanks, hud

How thick is the brass you're talking about?

Probably not much more than 1/32". It's just a line on either side of the grip frame.

hud

hudlow

Bearcat
Kevin said:
Do you have any pictures? It sounds interesting, just a little bling, but not too much.

No I don't have any photos. The only thing I can compare it to is the liner on an old Case pocketknife...

brasser.jpg

hud

BlkHawk73

Hunter
I'd think craft stores would have small brass sheets that you could easily trim yourself. Just a thought.

caryc

Hawkeye
Ruger's grip screws are already too short. I think adding spacers to them would make them pretty much useless.

Then too I think the only way it would look right is with custom grips where you had them fitted to the frame with the spacers fitted to it as well.

I guess you could bond a brass back to existing grips but I think it should be fitted to the frame for the best appearance. Just my opinion of course.

Interesting idea though.

hudlow

Bearcat
BlkHawk73 said:
I'd think craft stores would have small brass sheets that you could easily trim yourself. Just a thought.

I thought about trying this and I have some friends in the jewelry repair business who would have the ability to buff them out for me.

I may try it when I get a break....

...one of these days.

hud

hudlow

Bearcat
caryc said:
Ruger's grip screws are already too short. I think adding spacers to them would make them pretty much useless.

Then too I think the only way it would look right is with custom grips where you had them fitted to the frame with the spacers fitted to it as well.

I guess you could bond a brass back to existing grips but I think it should be fitted to the frame for the best appearance. Just my opinion of course.

Interesting idea though.

Yeah, you'd have to take out as much grip material as the brass that was added.

My fingers are too old, fat and clumsy these days...but I might give it a shot someday.

hud

caryc

Hawkeye
hudlow said:
caryc said:

Interesting idea though.

My fingers are too old, fat and clumsy these days...but I might give it a shot someday.

hud

Or use a longer screw.

hudlow

Bearcat
caryc said:
hudlow said:
caryc said:

Interesting idea though.

hud

Or use a longer screw.

If you added the brass without taking some of the grip material away you'd lose your flush fit to the frame wouldn't you?

caryc

Hawkeye
That depends on how fussy you were with the brass. If it's only .032" thick, that really isn't much. I don't know if you angled the edge of the brass to match the angle of the back strap and fore strap, if you would even be able to tell.

A lot of the stock Ruger grips I've seen had a very small but discernible 90 degree angle between the face of the grip and the edge anyway.

It would be easier to fit the outer perimiter edge of the grip to the brass then shaving .032" off the back of the grip. Besides you wouldn't want to remove any more of that wood in back of the ferrules anyway. It's already pretty thin back there in stock Ruger grips anyway.

But I don't think this would even be worth messing around with unless you were also making a pair of custom grips as well and just fitted everything to the grip frame as needed.