Brass frame 41 mag Blackhawk info

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Good evening,
Today I had a LGS (very good friend) reach out to me with a 4 digit s/n brass frame Blackhawk. The barrel is 4 5/8" and is in 41 mag caliber. Based on his assessment the BH is between 95 and 98%. No box and it has not been converted. What is a fair price for this and are there any things to look for in regard to authenticity? It was bought in a group of guns he obtained from an old customer. Thanks for any help. Sergeant206

hittman

Staff member
I can't say price for sure but even if the brass frame is not original to the gun, some might pay in the $300 range just for it.

Somebody let me know if I'm off base with that.

My guess is that even with a blued frame it's in the $600 plus range.

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
If it is an as Shipped .41B 4-5/8 it is worth easy $2K (way more IMO)...best memory serves there were about 50 4-5/8" and 160 6=1/2" brass framed actually shipped..memory has been known faulty.

GET a Letter on it.

EDIT: I found this...

street said:
RENE list the 4 5/8 in Brass Grip Frame at $4425.00. The 6 1/2 in. Brass Grip Frame at $3075.00. Only about 50 of the 4 5/8 in guns were made and only about 160 of the 6 1/2 in bl. guns made.

If that gun was a factory shipped Brass Frame and it was in 98% then someone got an excellent buy, especially if it was the 4 5/8 in. gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
As noted above,, it's ALL about the potential of it being shipped as a Factory Brassie,, or not. A factory letter is MANDATORY!

hittman

Staff member
contender said:
A factory letter is MANDATORY!

But only for authentication.

If they're asking $600, maybe even $800 for it I'd likely pick it up. NOW.

338reddog

Single-Sixer
A local shop has two brass framed 41mag. I do not know if original , they are asking $1249 ea. One 4 5/8" and one 6.5(?)". I a
Picture if you want to see them
Jeff

or as noted above,,,," as sum of the total of the parts" a good buy if the price is right,,,and a home run if it "letters"...........not a lot of the short barrel ones anyway, just around here the longer barrel is needed for deer hunting........remember still more "users and shooters" out there ,than collectors.. 8) :roll: :wink:

Thank y'all for the info, he is asking $3,400.00 without a letter. I know he just took this in but I think a letter would be necessary for that purchase price. He also has a flattop 357 with 5 digit serial number for sale as well. The condition is about the same or better than the brass frame. He has offered both for $4,000.00.

So now my question is, Is it worth the asking price if it is in fact 1 of 62 produced with a letter?

Thanks again for the help, Sergeant206

NitroAcres

Single-Sixer
ReReading your original post, it is a 4 digit Ser#...that would make it Pre-Brass Frame Known Shipment...Never say Never with Ruger..but known are all 40-xxx

Only a letter will confirm original shipping condition..BKH41 or BKH41B

Sure wish I could run up on one "In The Wild" like this...as it is I had to make my own..and be happy with what I have.

hittman

Staff member
sergeant206 said:
Thank y'all for the info, he is asking $3,400.00 without a letter.

So now my question is, Is it worth the asking price if it is in fact 1 of 62 produced with a letter?

To the hard core collector? Maybe.

To me, no but if he was asking $3k I'd try to get $500 off; WITH the letter.

Ask him if he'll sell it to you today and refund $2400 if the letter comes back that it did NOT leave the factory that way.

contender

Ruger Guru
NitroAcres caught it. In my salivating lust,, I missed the part about it being a 4 digit gun. According to Dougans list in his book,, there are no 4 digit brass framed guns known to have been shipped from the factory.
The dealer is WAY off in his pricing.

And while we like to say; "Never say never" with Ruger,, all 4 digit guns were done by early 1967. And the brass framed guns didn't appear until 1972. HIGHLY unlikely it was shipped with the brass installed.

Gentlemen,
As always y'all are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you for saving me a costly mistake. I have offered to pay for a letter for the brass frame and if it comes back as not original then he will sell it to me for $700.00. I have purchased the flattop for $600.00 as well.
Thank y'all again for the education, Sergeant206

hittman

Staff member
$700 would be a right fair buy ..... can't pass that up!

Ya done good on the flattop too.

contender

Ruger Guru
Good call.
And, at $700 the .41 will be a fair buy. Figure the brass g/f is worth around $300. A proper XR3-RED will cost you $75-$100. So, you can easily end up with a .41 mag Om,,, 4 digit gun,, for about $500.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Tyrone.... somewhere I have a photo of an unfired (proof fired, of course), Blackhawk .41 Mag with 6-1/2" barrel belonging to Bill Ruger, Jr. We were cleaning guns in his collection and I took a pictures of a few guns; not as many any self-respecting archivist would have. Obviously assembled with brass grip frame. Believe photo shows serial number. Photo is not with several others from that group; I'll try to find it.
David Bradshaw