"boat paddle" 10-22 stock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tom said today that an individual he'd been talking with stated emphatically there's no such thing. Funny since Tom bought one as a take-off a couple of years back.
My question: Is this stock something rare or low production? Toms got it on a "safe queen" right now and didn't want to bugger up something that's hard to find.

hittman

Staff member
Mobuck, if you remember I'm less than 100 miles east of you just across the river. Around here you never ever see them. When I bought mine (here) some folks said they were quite common. Must be a regional thing. Maybe no local wholesalers (like Williams Shooters Supply) carried them; I don't know.

I might be inclined to buy another if I see one. The one I have now is stainless and it makes for a very fine looking rifle.

Mine was bought new in Missouri at Walmart. As far as I know, that is the stock Ruger used until they switched to the current version. I don't know if there is any correlation with the switch on the M77 MKII stocks.

It would interesting to see what this Boat Paddle looks like ?

I'm talking about the style with the scalloped area of the butt with the Ruger name imprinted-similar/same as my 20 year old 77/22 synthetic stainless. Tom got his from a dealer in east central Iowa who was swapping a new .920 barrel and laminated stock onto a NIB ss/synthetic 10-22.
Maybe I'll take Tom a more common stock to put on that rifle-it's not like I don't have plenty of spares.

contender

Ruger Guru
To be on the safe side, I'd swap out the boat paddle stock & keep it. If you have a spare 10/22, then keep the other one as nice as you can. There is a bit of collector interest in the boat paddle stocked guns. I just do not know how much.

Shooter III, the term boat paddle stock is a nickname given to a poly styled rifle stock introduced several years ago, then later dropped as many felt they were a bit ugly, unwieldy, etc. As many felt, it handled & felt like a boat paddle.

Here is the color that got turned down by the powers that be.
gray-stock.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
The boat paddle was the first of the Zytel stocks on Ruger's 10/22 and M77 Mark II series.
Then they figured out how to mold the stocks without having large voids in the middle (the reason for giving them boatpaddle buttstocks, and for the inserts on the M77 forearms).
I hardly ever see a boatpaddle anything any more, so they aren't getting more common that's for sure. But at the time, that's all there was....thousands of them.
Chet15

b3337

Bearcat
I bought blued one (10/22RP), at Kmart around 1999-2000 and sold it a couple of years later. A few years ago I decided to get another and finally found one a couple of months ago. Seldom seen around these parts.

donut757

Blackhawk
I picked up a boat paddle stock a few years back and built around it... Its too odd of a piece to get rid off and didnt want to mess it up so i swithed it with a folding stock. It is the only one i have ever seen eith my own eyes around here

Chief-wahoo

Bearcat
I have a 10-22 withe the boatpaddle stock and also 3 model 77-22 rifles with the boatpaddle stock. I was wondering if the 77-22 boatpaddle stock is rare also?

Jalgsp204

Bearcat
I have 2 of the 10-22's with the boat paddle (aka skeleton stock). 1 is still new in the box that I will give to my son one day. I love these rifles and also have a collection of the M77's with them. I also have an extra 77/22 that I would sell if anyone on here is interested.

Latest posts