Blackhawk Convertible 32 H&R / 32-20

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gak

Buckeye
A limited distributor-only (Buckeye Sports?) run several years ago. A great gun as is its "cousin" - a stainless Vaquero version via Davidsons. With all that metal and such small holes, incredibly robust gun--but also heavy. To me, its value and uniqueness somewhat lessened by the current availability of the new 8 shot .327 Blackhawk for less money, a sort of modern-day .32-20 that can also shoot those other .32 rounds like the .32 H&R part of the Buckeye can, but without the necessity of two cylinders to do it all (except the .32-20 part of course). In short, if you're specifically a .32-20 fan, yes-great gun. Otherwise, get the new one.

BenT

Bearcat
Buddy bought a Buckeye last year for $600 and then bought a Davidsons Stainless Vaquero for $450 at the local gunshop. I passed on the Vaquero due to lack of funds. They both shoot great. Now another local shop has a Buckeye for $700. Both guns were heavy but had little recoil even with hot loads. The Vaquero was better balanced because it had a steel grip frame versus the aluminum.

Unless you love the 32-20 the new blackhawk 327 stainless is money better spent. It weights less and has good balance.

Axehandle

Buckeye
An original Buckeye Blackhawk will have a steel grip frame.... Some of the Blackhawk nuts will argue that the fit and finish of the Buckeye guns is a notch above the usual NM blue steel Blackhawk.. Most likely attributable to the steel grip frame.. :D

COR

Blackhawk
If it's worth it to you...it's worth it. They aren't making anymore and the one I have does have a really well fitted gripframe. Mine gets shot and the 32/20 is very accurate. I sent the mag cylinder to Mr. Bowen for rechambering to 327 Fed.

BenT

Bearcat
If these gentlemen say the Buckeye has a steel grip frame then it must be so . I'm recalling from shooting last fall that it didn't balance as good in my hand as the Vaquero . It may be because of the longer barrel. Fit and finish was good .

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Purchased my Buckeye 32 in 1988. Next year they offered the 38WCF/10mm with same serial number, different prefix. Both good shooters and as said, with steel grip frames. As COR did, I had the 32 H&R cylinder rechambered by Bowen to 327 Mag about a year ago. Now have a SS NMBH also in 327 Mag. Prefer the 6 shooter. Also put Bowen target rear sights on both as I think a much better sight picture.

COR

Blackhawk
They definitely came from the factory with the steel fripframe and ERH.

I have handled the 8 shot .327 and although heavier... I like the 6 shooter just as a matter of tradition. If I can't do it with 6...I can't do it anyway.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
You should have move on it when you had a chance. There where only fifty some made. They are highly collectable in just about any condition. Calthrop

CraigC

Hawkeye
Axehandle":3lzh7r0v said:
An original Buckeye Blackhawk will have a steel grip frame.... Some of the Blackhawk nuts will argue that the fit and finish of the Buckeye guns is a notch above the usual NM blue steel Blackhawk.. Most likely attributable to the steel grip frame.. :D
I've never seen a standard Blackhawk with the level of fit, finish and polish my Buckeye .38WCF sports.