Blackhawk 9mm reasonably accurate?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bigbob76

Bearcat
My friends and I do informal competition, shooting paper targets at 21 feet. I've been thinking about buying the Blackhawk Convertible 9mm/.357 stainless steel 5 1/2 inch barrel. Do you think I can expect any accuracy with the cheapest 9mm ammo? Yes, I realize that is a vague question. Maybe I should ask if there is anybody shooting theirs with whatever 9mm is cheap and available? Thanks, Bob

Bob,
I have a Blackhawk Flattop medium frame Convertible 9mm/.357 stainless steel 5 1/2 inch barrel with a Warren One Hole rear sight and I get 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups off hand with cheap but non-corrosive boxer primed 124 grn FMJ 1980s Norinco ammo. The One Hole rear sight helped my 68 year old eyes focus on the front sight and improved my groups. Buy it and enjoy it.

roylt

Hunter
Winchester white box runs great thru mine. On target at 50 foot. I say buy it.

bigbob76

Bearcat
Hey Pistolero and roylt, thanks very much. I'm going to have to check out the Warren One Hole sights also.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
bigbob, I have bought several peep sights from Warren sights. You call that number, Paul Almashy will answer. Great man to deal with. I have these sights on a dozen Rugers. Here is my 10.5 SBH,
I71xdKDl.jpg
,I turned an aluminum insert to make smaller aperture. They come in 2 sizes, 7/32" and 9/32" Here is my 1975 7.5 SBH with 7/32" sight
IVSJZdpl.jpg
, Here is a target, 3 shots in a 1/2" group at 80 yards,
pPTbgYKl.jpg

bigbob76 said:
My friends and I do informal competition, shooting paper targets at 21 feet. I've been thinking about buying the Blackhawk Convertible 9mm/.357 stainless steel 5 1/2 inch barrel. Do you think I can expect any accuracy with the cheapest 9mm ammo? Yes, I realize that is a vague question. Maybe I should ask if there is anybody shooting theirs with whatever 9mm is cheap and available? Thanks, Bob

The 9mm Convertibles used to get a lot of bad press, with a .355 bullet rattling down a .357 barrel. :mrgreen:

I've got a couple of these revolvers, and apparently they never got the word, because not only is the accuracy acceptable, it is quite good. I now shoot 9mm's almost exclusively in my convertibles, and the cheap 115 gr white box stuff shoots as well as the expensive stuff.

WAYNO.

ditto1958

Blackhawk
I think I've gotten acceptable accuracy from mine. It seems to like 147 grain 9mm ammo best. Is it awful with 9mm compared to .38/.357? No, but .38 and .357 are definitely better.

nn

Single-Sixer
I've gotten acceptable accuracy from jacketed ammo, I have gotten slightly better from lead.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
2" at small game distances is fine with me, considering run-of-the-mill production Blackhawks. The 9mm cylinders I've owned haven't been second-rate to any "other" cylinders. They shoot very well indeed, for me.